Accessing Pandora From Windows

Pleng

While I'm still unfortunately not able to access my Windows shares from my Pandora, my Pandora does show up on the network in Windows 7. When I try to access it it asks for a username and password. I assumed that for full access username would be root and the password would be the same one I entered on first boot, and the one I use for root access within my Pandora, but this combination doesn't grant me access. What should I be entering to get access?

Last edited by a moderator:
Pleng said:
While I'm still unfortunately not able to access my Windows shares from my Pandora, my Pandora does show up on the network in Windows 7. When I try to access it it asks for a username and password. I assumed that for full access username would be root and the password would be the same one I entered on first boot, and the one I use for root access within my Pandora, but this combination doesn't grant me access. What should I be entering to get access?

You probably need to setup a Samba Share on the Pandora... hmmm, there is no tool yet for that. You should be able to do it manually, normal Samba methinks.

Another tool that sohuld be added to the To-do-list :D

Last edited:
meanwhile you can use winscp to connect to Panda via ssh to upload/download files. If you need access to it as windows share, then you'll need to use ED's suggestion and install and configure samba

Don't forget that you can mount the Pandora as an sshfs filesystem too, I think .. (haven't tried it myself yet, but I'll followup when I get a chance) .. There is a way to mount sshfs filesystems with Windows, no? (No Windows machines in my house for 14 years..)

torpor said:
Don't forget that you can mount the Pandora as an sshfs filesystem too, I think .. (haven't tried it myself yet, but I'll followup when I get a chance) .. There is a way to mount sshfs filesystems with Windows, no? (No Windows machines in my house for 14 years..)
Yes. You can use Dokan to mount SSHFS shares as windows drives. It's generally easier to just use SFTP (Filezilla supports this) in windows instead though. Dokan can be a might tricky to set up.

Win7 has upgraded it's sharing model. It's not compatible with anything but Win7 at it's default settings. But it is fantastic if your network is win7 only.

You need to configure it to be compatible with XP

(This commes from distant memory)
Disbale 128 bit encryption
force some headers to be send

just google sharing between win7 - XP
after this linux (and the pandora) can get full access

EDIT:
samba is win2000/XP compatible by default, I have no idea if you can configure samba to be win7 compatible

Sorry Yannick but that is the biggest pile of tosh I've read in a long time.

I've had Win7 sharing with Vista and XP machines with zero problems and I've never had to do any special configuration. Windows 7 does have a 'media devices' sections which only seems to work with other W7 machines, but I wouldn't know as this is something I've never needed to explore.

My Wii also has no problems accessing my Win7 shares over Samba.

Pleng said:
Sorry Yannick but that is the biggest pile of tosh I've read in a long time.

I've had Win7 sharing with Vista and XP machines with zero problems and I've never had to do any special configuration. Windows 7 does have a 'media devices' sections which only seems to work with other W7 machines, but I wouldn't know as this is something I've never needed to explore.

My Wii also has no problems accessing my Win7 shares over Samba.

I never gotten it to work without shutting down the new win7 features

We do networking solutions at work and I have encountered issues with 7 and non 7 machines in the past but other times it has worked out of the box.. its weird, maybe it was fixed in an update

mvickers03 said:
its weird, maybe it was fixed in an update

II doubt that. I was running Windows 7 from day 0 (im a student so its free) and had no problems whatsoever. I do remember working in a company a few years back that had Vista installed on all its machines and the buildings network was running on a Linux server. There were all kinds of problems there.

Don't know if this is related or not but I'll throw it in in case it helps.

The SmartQ's (5 & 7) cannot out of the box do shares with Win7. It seems its down to the lack of module file cifs.ko in the kernel. (Does the Pandora have cifs.ko included in the kernel?) Once cifs.ko has been rectified then samba/smbfs will allow shares to be mounted and connections made.

Back