Network manager SHA-256 not avilable for openvpn HMAC autenthication

asimov-solensan

Very Active Member
Hello,

Well the title sums it pretty clear, I have been setting a opnvpn server and made it work wonderfully in android. Still have got some problems in my desktop linux (mageia 4), and seems that is not possible to configure the client for pandora.

In the HMAC authentication options go up to SHA-1, while on my linux box it shows much more options.

I can guess that this is due to having a pretty outdated OS in general. Is there any way to solve this?

Indeed, that's exactly my problem. And seems the only option is update as I thought.

I guess this update will be attached to a ton of OS components that won't update easily.

I need a Pyra more and more everyday.

Thanks for your interest by the way.

I assume you need to update the network manager to support the --auth parameters.

Not sure if it would work but you could move/rename the original openvpn executable, put a script in its place that refers to the original openvpn executable but with the additional parameter "--auth sha512" and all the parameters passed to the replacement-script.

I've done a bit of digging around that bug. I can't see any diffs in that section quoted in the attached gnome bug, so I suspect whoever thought that code was wrong was mistaken, and it's been taken care of elsewhere. The latest version when the bug was closed was 1.1.91, and debian up to jessie is still messing around with 0.9 versions. Debian Stretch contains a much more recent version though, which should be fixed.

I'm not sure this is impossible to get patched in super zaxxon, but it depends on how much of a risk there is upversioning all of those dependencies. I've not yet checked the changes in depended versions between what we have and what stretch has.

I won't mess with the base OS of pandora being as delicate as it is. And Idon't expect anyone to lose any taime on this.

I just configured a openvpn server and was doing some tests, if pandora had the features of Pyra I would really like to got this VPN working, but given the limitations it has, I wouldn't use much anyhow.

I wanted to ask to have a bit more information about this topic.

Thanks.

Back