our own jabber-server!

McLovin

Hey everyone. Just had a conversation with ED and he would allow me to host our own jabber daemon on his server.

As a reminder: the server shall be a base for our own little gaming community and probably more.

Is there still interest?

Any special requirements?

I'd probably set up an ejabberd , with shared rosters and group chats activated.

Shared rosters are a killer feature from my perspective as they are VERY comfortable to use and really connect people all the time, while not demanding to have a chat window open.

I'd try to connect the accounts to the forum db, if ED is willing to give me permission, but it might as well be out of scope.

cool,

never used Jabber. Is there any advantage compared to IRC? I can only think of excanging data...

Official voice chat would be a tad more interesting. How 'bout Murmur - runs on the Pandora, too :)

cool,

never used Jabber. Is there any advantage compared to IRC? I can only think of excanging data...

jabber/xmpp is more of an instant messanging service like icq, googletalk, etc. In fact, a lot of commercial IM-services are actually jabber and lots of companies use it for internal communication.

you can choose from a multitude of clients, each having specific feature sets. for example, coccinella features a whiteboard, essentialy a canvas where 2 or more people can draw pictures and even play board- or card-games with each other. all that together with voice/video-chat, groupchat, etc.

the special thing about ejabberd, the open source daemon that shall host our jabber-service, is it's more or less unique support for shared rosters. that means, if you join a group on our server, you will instantly have every other person from that group in your contact list and every other person has you. Naturally, those groups are foldable in the client and you can have the same contact in multiple groups, so it won't get a total mess when joining tons of groups . Everyone may still decide to be invisible or ignore specific users, but the potential for building a community out of this, is enormous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good choice for ejabberd. I've had good experiences with it in the past. Easy to setup and rock solid.

aye, as long as you have some privileges and open ports on your server, it should be easy to set up. just took a look at the authorization part and even that seems to be no biggy.

Still, not many people seem to care. Wonder if it's worth the effort.

I like this. I would join. I've used a personal Jabber server just for keeping in contact with all of my friends, mostly just for privacy though, keeping our logs from going through anyone else's pipes.

Back