Netflix

Natro

There is an iPhone app for Netflix already... is there any chance it would work on the Pandora?

Could it technically work? Yes. But the licensing fees would probably be through the roof. You're better off ripping DVDs for use on your Pandora right now.

while we are signing petitions may as well ask for Linux X86 / X86_64 bit as well.. because there still isn't a method yet that doesn't involved running a virtual machine.

Edit: should read the petition before commenting.. looks like that most likely will be for the x86 versions of linux.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well there goes my hope of netflix on 64bit ubuntu

Does 64-bit Ubuntu not support 32bit applications like Fedora and every other Linux Distribution I've used?

Also when I said x86 version(s) I sort of implied that x86_64 as well.

I'm not a linux person, but has anyone tried to install moonlight (open source version of MS silverlight) and try to get netflix to work? Netflix uses silverlight as opposed to flash or html5. Although it probally won't work, it might be worth a shot.

EDIT: also although not available yet, netflix is supposedly working on an android port of their application to complement their iOS version. If an android port happens, or they are able to make a compatibility layer for android apps, it might happen that way if not officially.

I'm not a linux person, but has anyone tried to install moonlight (open source version of MS silverlight) and try to get netflix to work? Netflix uses silverlight as opposed to flash or html5. Although it probally won't work, it might be worth a shot.

EDIT: also although not available yet, netflix is supposedly working on an android port of their application to complement their iOS version. If an android port happens, or they are able to make a compatibility layer for android apps, it might happen that way if not officially.

I've tried it even with useragent switching to make it believe it's running Windows, Netflix can somehow detect it isn't using true silverlight and will bomb out.

I've tried it even with useragent switching to make it believe it's running Windows, Netflix can somehow detect it isn't using true silverlight and will bomb out.
did you change the firefox option to make it think it's running internet explorer in addition to installing moonlight? Or is that what you're talking about? I remember having to do this to firefox on windows, google chrome didn't work originally, but magically started working a couple versions ago. For windows anyway.

did you change the firefox option to make it think it's running internet explorer in addition to installing moonlight? Or is that what you're talking about? I remember having to do this to firefox on windows, google chrome didn't work originally, but magically started working a couple versions ago. For windows anyway.

yeah the that's what I meant UserAgent is the technical term. You can trick servers by modifying the browser's UserAgent information.. Firefox has a handy plugin to handle it, where in the past you had to manually hack a config file.

yeah the that's what I meant UserAgent is the technical term. You can trick servers by modifying the browser's UserAgent information.. Firefox has a handy plugin to handle it, where in the past you had to manually hack a config file.
I think I hacked a config file leaning heavily on some guide I had found, forget what the actual command to get into it was but you had to type like config: or somthing in the address bar, it was a while ago. But I vaguely remember doing it thinking... I might as well just uninstall this application if I fuck this up as I'll never figure out what I messed up if I type the wrong thing in.

but anyway... that sucks, here's to an arm compatible android netflix application (x86 android app already works with google tv)

EDIT:

command was "about:config"

I think I hacked a config file leaning heavily on some guide I had found, forget what the actual command to get into it was but you had to type like config: or somthing in the address bar, it was a while ago. But I vaguely remember doing it thinking... I might as well just uninstall this application if I fuck this up as I'll never figure out what I messed up if I type the wrong thing in.

but anyway... that sucks, here's to an arm compatible android netflix application (x86 android app already works with google tv)

EDIT:

command was "about:config"

Yeah you can do that, that command just allows you to edit the prefs.js config file in the browser.

You can't use Netflix in Moonlight because there's proprietary DRM code in Silverlight that doesn't exist in Moonlight, and probably never will.

Does 64-bit Ubuntu not support 32bit applications like Fedora and every other Linux Distribution I've used?

It does (and i have had lots of success doing it) but programs that do DRM don't like being run through 32 to 64 libraries.

It does (and i have had lots of success doing it) but programs that do DRM don't like being run through 32 to 64 libraries.

I don't get what DRM has to do with running 32-bit applications on a 64-bit system.. but glad ubuntu is up to speed.

Part of this petition confuses me. I run netflix in chrome without any issues? Why are they saying it only works in explorer?

Part of this petition confuses me. I run netflix in chrome without any issues? Why are they saying it only works in explorer?
that part is old, it used to not run in chrome or firefox, now it does both... in windows

linux is the issue

it's a kind of old petition, my signature is around 1200 or so, it's up to 10,000

that part is old, it used to not run in chrome or firefox, now it does both... in windows

linux is the issue

it's a kind of old petition, my signature is around 1200 or so, it's up to 10,000

Ah, got'cha. What plugin does it use for "watch now"? I always had assumed it was just using flash, as that's pretty standard for streaming video.

Ah, got'cha. What plugin does it use for "watch now"? I always had assumed it was just using flash, as that's pretty standard for streaming video.
silverlight, it's microsoft's version of adobe flash.

they are susposed to be working with HTML5 in the future, this would allow for cross platform streaming without the need for proprietary plugins like flash and silver-light. Last I heard they were in the final steps of nailing down the DRM aspect of things. html5 being an open standard makes this a little more... difficult.

silverlight, it's microsoft's version of adobe flash.

they are susposed to be working with HTML5 in the future, this would allow for cross platform streaming without the need for proprietary plugins like flash and silver-light. Last I heard they were in the final steps of nailing down the DRM aspect of things. html5 being an open standard makes this a little more... difficult.

Ok, thanks for the explanation. I understand now. :)

Back