NEON accelerated mplayer ???

Snappy

Still Fresh
Hello!

Im sorry if somebody asked for this before, but according to this link there should be player in Angstrom for BeagleBoard which is able to play 720p videos.

My question is ... is here any chance that we will have it in Angstrom on Pandora???

Thank you!

If I could get a binary download I'd try it, it seems to be mixed in with the entire angstrom OS image for the beagleboard in their downloads.

On a side note, with my Pandora overclocked to 1050mhz it -almost- plays 1280x720 x264 encoded files with subtitles with the built-in mplayer. It drops some frames on the heavier action scenes.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I could get a binary download I'd try it, it seems to be mixed in with the entire angstrom OS image for the beagleboard in their downloads.

On a side note, with my Pandora overclocked to 1050mhz it -almost- plays 1280x720 x264 encoded files with subtitles with the built-in mplayer. It drops some frames on the heavier action scenes.
I extracted it from the rootfs along with a couple of libraries it needed, and it appears to work about as well as the built-in mplayer.

However, I can't play any 720p file (I get an error that says "Source image dimensions are too high: 1280x720 (maximum is 800x480)".

If I try with -vo omapfb it just gives "[omapfb] Error mmap" and then the usual "FATAL: could not initialize video driver."

I don't know much about mplayer, though, so maybe someone else would have more luck.

I extracted it from the rootfs along with a couple of libraries it needed, and it appears to work about as well as the built-in mplayer.

However, I can't play any 720p file (I get an error that says "Source image dimensions are too high: 1280x720 (maximum is 800x480)".

If I try with -vo omapfb it just gives "[omapfb] Error mmap" and then the usual "FATAL: could not initialize video driver."

I don't know much about mplayer, though, so maybe someone else would have more luck.

Can you upload it somewhere?

How does one use this? I want mplayer version 4.4.4, not 4.3.3 on my Pandora.
Oddly, the mplayer binary from the rootfs appears to be the same (MPlayer SVN-r30165-4.3.3) as the native Pandora one. Different build, but same version, anyway.

I think what we want is 'omapfbplay', but I can't seem to find that anywhere.

edit: it's not in the Angstrom demo rootfs, anyway, and I don't have the toolchain set up to build it.

omapfbplay is a player that uses the DSP, it's the same as mplayer -vo omapfb

It won't work unless you reserve memory for it in the kernel (that's the mmap error). The DSP would need 32MB memory reserved.

It won't work unless you reserve memory for it in the kernel (that's the mmap error). The DSP would need 32MB memory reserved.

So, ED, do you mean that we can have hope and we can believe, that one day we will be able to play unconverted videos up to 720p? ;)

I hope that this will not be so cheeky to ask you if in some future Hotfix (I prefer HF6 :D ) this will come?

Thanx!

Not true, it doesn't use DSP and I really doubt 'mplayer -vo omapfb' is the same as omapfbplay.

Hm, though omapfbplay makes the same error as mplayer (the mmap thing) AFAIR.

It's not using the DSP? Awesome - any idea how it works and what needs to be done to make it working?

If it can do 720p fullspeed, we don't need the DSP for that :)

Now, I don't see the point of being able to play back HD videos at all. After all, the screen resolution is only 480 pixels high: not HD. TV-out can't handle HD either, as far as I know.

Besides, I kinda doubt that we'll see perfect 720 playback on 500-700 MHz. I don't think the GPU is powerful enough to handle it on its own (like vdpau does).

I assume it means that 32mb+ would have to be permanently reserved in the OS which is not good. Would it be possible though to allow some kind of choice on bootup as to allocating the desired ram for the player? That way a simple reboot would let you have all system ram available to all progs if you were not going to watch video.

Hm, though omapfbplay makes the same error as mplayer (the mmap thing) AFAIR.
mmap is normal system call, it has nothing to do with the DSP. This can be fixed with simple command:

Code:
ofbset -fb /dev/fb1 -mem 2764800

Then 'mplayer -vo omapfb' works with videos that have width upto 1024. For larger videos higher functional clock is needed for hardware scaler (change in kernel config) which might result in higher power usage.

Should we enable that ED?

I assume it means that 32mb+ would have to be permanently reserved in the OS which is not good. Would it be possible though to allow some kind of choice on bootup as to allocating the desired ram for the player? That way a simple reboot would let you have all system ram available to all progs if you were not going to watch video.
Yeah that might be possible, there is just no one to do the work for this.

I've been working on getting an updated mplayer working on the pandora,shoved into smplayer and using a script to work around some bugs, it's been patched to include the omapfb driver and such, and if we can enable output of higher resolution stuff using omapfb, great, as that would solve some of the problems. And everything that I have read regarding omapfb was that the 720p decoding was for mpeg4 only, so only stuff like divx and xvid. If we can get even 1024 width output that would be great, can add that to my script to use omapfb.

Back