Neo1973 Openmoko Phone

I remember hearing about this and then I forgot what it was called. Thanks for reminding me.

I want one of these so bad. *drools* I don't have much use for a cell phone most of the time, but this thing gives me wood.

Edit: Doesn't look like it's got an ARM with Jazelle, which is disappointing but not a deal breaker.

I'm interested, but it's a little pricey, and I like a nice camera on my mobile phones.

Ravnos said:
I remember hearing about this and then I forgot what it was called. Thanks for reminding me.

I want one of these so bad. *drools* I don't have much use for a cell phone most of the time, but this thing gives me wood.
Me too, this is great news. But the only version they are selling right now is the dev version. The consumer version will be improved with wifi and some other stuff and will be available in October.
Price for the dev version is 300$ and the consumer version will be 450$

Last edited by a moderator:
b._.o._.b said:
Ravnos said:

Me too, this is great news. But the only version they are selling right now is the dev version. The consumer version will be improved with wifi and some other stuff and will be available in October.
Price for the dev version is 300$ and the consumer version will be 450$

I looked up the phone on Wikipedia and apparently the reason the dev phone is so much cheaper is because it's from the first production run which is missing a few features they decided to add for the final version of the phone, notably WiFi (which is a dealbreaker for me). So I'll be holding out for the consumer version, but it looks like this will be the first phone I buy since high school.

I had been holding out for Greenphones to become publically available, but now I guess it'll have to be one of these. Just as soon as they get built in GPS/navigation working :p

$450? Let me rephrase: $450? Not in this lifetime I'm afraid :p

Fishbong said:
I wait for the meizu m8. 8GB of storage, 3.3" display with a 720x480 res, ARM11 chip and Windows Mobile 6.

And all that at about 300$.

Do. Want.

Alex. said:

Fishbong said:
I wait for the meizu m8. 8GB of storage, 3.3" display with a 720x480 res, ARM11 chip and Windows Mobile 6.
And all that at about 300$.
Meizu is indeed a nice and cheap iPhone clone. But beware the price is not confirmed yet, could be a lot more when launchday arives. Also the launchdate is still not clear, they say beginning of 2008.

Anyway I like the Openmoko more, it's got the GP2X vibe. I've registered myself on the openmoko mailinglist, there are some really enthusiastic people there with some great ideas.

Alex. said:
Well it's cheaper than the iPhone and you can't say nobody buys that one ;)

no its not cheaper than the 4gb version, it only allows you to store things on micro sd cards and doesn't seem to have a keyboard (i know the iphone doesn't either but its screen is alot bigger so it can be used as a keyboard) and it doesn't have gps. I think it looks cool and is cool but for consumers who wouldn't develop for it the price is just too much though im sure it would be much cheaper if they could produce more of them and if they could set up a contract discount with a service like AT&T.

Jackd said:
no its not cheaper than the 4gb version
Its not? I thought the 4 Gb iPhone was 499$ and the 8 599$?

btw I think it will also be a great consumerphone. I've got a Motorola A780 phone and I almost never use the keys, the screen (smaller than the Neo1973) is just more convenient

Jackd said:
no its not cheaper than the 4gb version, it only allows you to store things on micro sd cards and doesn't seem to have a keyboard (i know the iphone doesn't either but its screen is alot bigger so it can be used as a keyboard) and it doesn't have gps. I think it looks cool and is cool but for consumers who wouldn't develop for it the price is just too much though im sure it would be much cheaper if they could produce more of them and if they could set up a contract discount with a service like AT&T.
AT&T wouldn't be interested in vendor-locking a hackable phone now, would they? And it is in fact cheaper than the iPhone 4GB - as far as I am aware, b._.o._.b's figures are correct. Plus, the iPhone doesn't have GPRS!

I am really interested in this - both as developer and consumer - and everyone knows that when you open up platforms, very cool stuff happens.

whoops my bad i guess it is cheaper... i still wouldn't want to try typing on the small touchscreen but i love the bean shaped design.

nickspoon said:
Jackd said:
AT&T wouldn't be interested in vendor-locking a hackable phone now, would they?

Of course not, my point was that its not that expensive if you compare it to other "unlocked" phones.

Back