Need To Build A Serial Cable For Unbricking..

Trip

Sorry, but I suck at explaining stuff :P
Website
ubuntufs.wordpress.com
I found this on ebay & thought that it would be easier to modify, than completely build one up myself from scratch. Is this the right one to buy?
I just wanted to make sure, before I go ahead & spend money that I really can't afford at the moment.

Or alternatively.. is there anybody living near Bradford in England who can lend me one for a day or two?

I'm not even too sure if I'll be able to do the unbricking, as I get no video or sound from my 2x at all (either on batteries or with the power supply) :(
I take it that I would need to replace the boot image on the device?

Any help or advice would be cool cheers :)

Probably JTAG to reflash bad uboot or something, but I'm sure that'd leave you with a rainbow screen not a black screen... is the little power light coming on atleast?

Probably JTAG to reflash bad uboot or something, but I'm sure that'd leave you with a rainbow screen not a black screen... is the little power light coming on atleast?
Yep.. that's the only good bit of news I have at the mo though lol

EDIT: At least a rainbow screen would look a bit better & shows some life in the system :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Uboot might not be trashed, if it is you can send it off to DJWillis (I think he still does this), otherwise you can unbrick it (theres a guide).

I *think* you can un-brick with a BOB with JTAG. May be a safer option than making your own lead and the BOB is only £30.00. You will also be left with all the other cool stuff that a BOB does :)

http://gp2x.co.uk/gp2xbreakoutboard.html
Yeh I've been wanting a BOB for a while but money's tight at the mo :(

Still.. It's going to cost me £20 at least to send it off to someone else for debricking, so I guess it will be the better option. Got to get it sorted quickly, as I'm tearing my hair out without my 2x.

Cheers for the advice all.
If I manage to get it working myself, I'll see if I can make up a decent tutorial on it :)

Uboot might not be trashed, if it is you can send it off to DJWillis (I think he still does this), otherwise you can unbrick it (theres a guide).

Tripmonkey_uk, assuming the NAND is in tact (90%+ of bricked units are just fine in that regard) it should be easy enough to unbrick. I am more then happy to take a look at it for the cost of postage.

I normally ask people to make a small charity donation but that would be entirely up to you and I don’t see it costing you anywhere close to £20 to post it down to me in Bath and back again if you want me to take a look.

Tripmonkey_uk, assuming the NAND is in tact (90%+ of bricked units are just fine in that regard) it should be easy enough to unbrick. I am more then happy to take a look at it for the cost of postage.

I normally ask people to make a small charity donation but that would be entirely up to you and I don’t see it costing you anywhere close to £20 to post it down to me in Bath and back again if you want me to take a look.
Cheers for the offer DJ.. PM'd you :)

Back