Need Help Getting Started Please

quadomatic

DingooWiki Admin
Website
www.opendingoo.com
I've decided that I want to learn Fenix and make homebrew games for GP2X. I already have some Java experience.

I need help finding some resources so I can learn Fenix. Also, I'm using Linux, which appears to be a pain in the (choose your favorite body part). I can't find a good program to use for writing Fenix programs, since they're all for Windows. I could try them in Wine, but them I'm not sure how I'd compile them.

I compiled and installed Fenix .92a from the source available at fenixdocs.com (http://fenixdocs.com/index.php/Fenix_Wiki). Hopefully it actually worked, but I won't know till I try compiling something with it.

I can't find any pages for learning Fenix syntax either. I found some stuff on FenixOnFire, so I'll look at it, but I'll need to find a program to program Fenix in.

Could someone point me in the direction of more resources and some programs I can use in linux?

Thanks

Fenixonfire is actually a pretty good resource. I'm also new to Fenix but managed to write a full game just by looking at the tutorials, snippets but mostly the sourcecode for other games. You should look at istappen for example.

You can write fenix with some standard texteditor like gedit and then compile from commandline with CODE
fxc /path/to/your/program.prg

and then try it with CODE
fxi /path/to/compiled/program.dcb

However, the best would be to use an IDE like flamebird for windows because it shows commands and parameters in fenix as you write. So you can learn a lot about fenix just by guessing some commands.

I don't know about any program like that for linux, because I mainly use my windows-box when I code. Maybe somebody else can answer that. :)

Other than that, the fenix manual is your best resourse, or fenixdocs.com, use it.

Good luck. :)

Where can I find the Fenix Manual?

I managed to install ConTEXT and the Fenix binaries in WINE, and they work fine, which is pretty awesome, since there are no IDEs that I'm aware of for writing Fenix on Linux.

I wish there was an Eclipse plug-in or something. Maybe someone should write one...

I'm doing the last tutorial on FenixOnFire, and for some reason, using the SAME code on the tutorial, the Hello World in the move_text example leaves little spaced vertical lines, about the size of an H in Hello World.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Welcome to fenix coding!

I'm doing the last tutorial on FenixOnFire, and for some reason, using the SAME code on the tutorial, the Hello World in the move_text example leaves little spaced vertical lines, about the size of an H in Hello World.

That's a bug in fenix, which is easily avoided by not using move_text in a real program

I don't know of a fenix IDE for linux, but I do know that many experienced windows fenix coders prefer to use conTEXT, details for which you've already found on the wiki.

A good community for fenix (but not so much GP2X) is booleansoup.com. Although the site is for generic game making, there is a large population of fenix users, some of whom use linux and could help you out more than I can. You'll also find more games that you can have a look at the source code for on booleansoup

Of course if you speak (or at least can read) spanish, the best place to look is forum.divsite.net, but as you seem to be an english speaker, thats probably not terribly useful.

yonni said:
Welcome to fenix coding!

That's a bug in fenix, which is easily avoided by not using move_text in a real program

I don't know of a fenix IDE for linux, but I do know that many experienced windows fenix coders prefer to use conTEXT, details for which you've already found on the wiki.

A good community for fenix (but not so much GP2X) is booleansoup.com. Although the site is for generic game making, there is a large population of fenix users, some of whom use linux and could help you out more than I can. You'll also find more games that you can have a look at the source code for on booleansoup

Of course if you speak (or at least can read) spanish, the best place to look is forum.divsite.net, but as you seem to be an english speaker, thats probably not terribly useful.

Thanks for clearing up the fact that that's a bug in Fenix. Now I can continue learning, knowing that I'm not making a mistake with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I figured out a workaround for the move_text bug.

"write(2, 0, 100, 1, "Workaround");"

I put that in after the move_text loop. The text doesn't show, but the line bug doesn't appear. Not sure if this causes problems in more complicated programs though. I don't really understand the purpose of textid in write functions.

The main purpose of textid is to delete a specifc piece of text with delete_text( textid )

Back