Native Linux ports

Avalonhaze

Still Fresh
What Native Steam games do we think the Pyra will be able to play.

I ask as someone whose on the fence. I could probably spring for a GPD device but ultimately I kind of exist in both worlds.

I appreciate that the Pyra has been made with a lot of love, the after market value seems amazing (a point I think a lot of others don't get), I love Linux, I'm constantly playing OpenRA and tinkering with hardware.

But sometimes I just want to play Half Life 2

• Love
Reactions: rSl
Native would be an ARM desktop linux release. Highly unlikely to get any official support for that.
There is a decent chance we will be able to play titles that have an android port tho.
Just ask yourself how many steam games run on an raspery π, well if there are any at all i can at least predict they will run on the pyra too.

Of course if we talk about ports done by the community, seeing that half life exists for the pandora, who knows what a certain frenchman makes running in the future.

Right I think I'm understanding you here. Linux OS support does not mean ARM support. Think I didn't see the obvious there.

Interesting you mentioned Android ports. There is one of Half Life 2 but I think it's Android TV only. Knights of the old Republic could be fun though. Plus I could just install Shadow or some other streaming service I suppose.

The pandora was able to load either the full android environment or start apk standalone.
While this is currently rather abandoned, technically that is one way that can be made working.
Also there is high hope in Box86 which makes a lot of desktop games playable in the future i suppose.

Reactions: rSl
Yes, Ptitseb's been working on box86 which will bring any 32-bit x86 linux executables to 32-bit ARM devices and more potentially (once he's implemented enough libs and stuff and maybe a few more opcodes). Now, 32-bit x86 is a little long in the tooth so I'd expect many linux games to only supply 64-bit x64 executables which will limit what we can play, but I'd be very surprised if the source engine doesn't have a 32-bit version, which would be a candidate.

I presume 3D acceleration is working now? Are there any demos of this on the Dev board.

That's true and I'd forgotten that. I'm not 100% what codebase he was running there though, and I've not heard yet whether that's been achieved again on the 4.19 kernel with the current distro. It seems quite likely given when it was posted that it was running on 4.19 anyway though, so it may turn out to be almost entirely solved already, just people are working on charging the unit as the most important thing just now.

Back