N900 Set To Fail

riosingh

Website
Visit site
With my phone contract up for renewal I wen't to phones for you to get a N900.
But they've dropped it due the amount of returns.
So after talking to one of the guys on the Vodaphone Sales team I discovered they've dropped it as well, due to 96% of sold units being returned.

On the plus side Carphone ware house are selling returned and reconditioned units for 280GBP.

But i really think Nokia have missed a trick here, they developed such a good piece of hardware, but fell short on the software side.

If you think about it apart from people who want to try out a bit of hacking, who wants one,
unlike the iphone or a andriod phone there not the number of apps (free or commercial).
there no email push like the blackberrys.

anyhow i think i'm going to hang on for a few more weeks see if the price drops any more than buy one out right and get a sim only contract.

I don't think it was ever supposed to have any mass market appeal, so honestly, I'm surprised Vodafone even sold them in store at all... After all, it's a phone with a partly unfinished OS that was primarily marketed to hacker types...

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up, if they're getting this cheap I might get one :)

I, too, was surprised at the n900 being sold in high street stores and somewhat dissapointed that it's resale value is slightly nerfed, I would probably have sold it once i got my Pandora. It's undisputedly a rubbish phone but a great geek toy. Back to the iPhone I go.

On a side note: Dell streak..... Roflcopteromgwtflmao it really is exactly the wrong size for everything. The n-Gage side-talkin' gag can make a comeback.

I am sure the people who return a N900 would also return a Pandora. (Although the Pandora may be a bit more user-friendly. Don't know, mine is yet to be shipped.)
The N900 seems to be an awesome device which is open enough to just replace the original software with the one one likes. For me, it was just too expensive, but a price around 300€ seems reasonable :D

(But as I don't own one, I could be totally wrong :D To people who've got one: Would a Linux- and gadget-freak return a N900 because of its software?)

WoD said:
On a side note: Dell streak..... Roflcopteromgwtflmao it really is exactly the wrong size for everything. The n-Gage side-talkin' gag can make a comeback.

Hey, if I can get it running here in Japan, I'll be side talkin' in style. Though to be fair, anything is in style if you're Caucasian over here.

Last edited by a moderator:
fahrstuhl said:
(But as I don't own one, I could be totally wrong :D To people who've got one: Would a Linux- and gadget-freak return a N900 because of its software?)

Absolutely not. I'm not sure where everyone's getting the impression the software is crap -- it's just Linux, and it's a damn sight more polished UI than any blackberry or winmo devices I've used. it's a little less sexy than the iPhone, and sure, it's lacking the iFart game, but it makes up for these shortcomings by:
-being able to easily switch between concurrently-running process (ironically similar to expose)
-having native terminal and easy root access - I ssh to and from this machine daily, and can troubleshoot things like bad network connectivity with absolute certainty. I've even done some remote development from it.
-offering dashboard widgets that are placable without having to snap to an arbitrary grid

My only real complaint is that Ovi maps sucks, other than that it's been a fun little device.

-------------------
Posted from my n900

Edit- ok, 2 complaints. the keys are too close together for my fat thumbs, but I've got that problem on any handheld. :D Edited for typos.

I'm enjoying my N900. It has its issues, and it's annoying that it's now an entirely dead platform, falling just under the bar of requirements for Flash 10.1 and that Nokia are no longer doing any work on releasing Meego on N900.

But it could be worse, I could own an iPhone...

Of course the Nokia N900 has seen a high return rate. The N95 saw a very high return rate and the software was terrible for ages.

The N900 isn't for most people, its advanced features are just too unsimplified for most. It gets pushed on consumers when they renew, its highly likely missold.

Then again, that doesn't mean that the people who return an N900 would like a Pandora, probably quite the opposite.

The Buccaneer said:
I'm enjoying my N900. It has its issues, and it's annoying that it's now an entirely dead platform, falling just under the bar of requirements for Flash 10.1 and that Nokia are no longer doing any work on releasing Meego on N900.

That would be Nokia's entirely made up bar of requirements for Flash 10.1, right?
IIRC, the N900 uses the same SoC as the Motorola Milestone / Droid, which is slated to receive an update to Android 2.2 with Flash in the coming month. I got the impression that there's quite a bit of proficient hacking going on for the N900, surely they'll at least try to get MeeGo and Flash on there :)

riosingh said:
But they've dropped it due the amount of returns.
So after talking to one of the guys on the Vodaphone Sales team I discovered they've dropped it as well, due to 96% of sold units being returned.
Hmmn, and did these returns start shortly after that overclock/overvolting app showed up? ;)

Well i still like my n900, and i hope the pandora devs start porting to it (it has identical hardware to the pandora)

The Buccaneer said:

But it could be worse, I could own an iPhone...

It'll get MeeGo. The base is already out there, pre-Alpha will be released at the end of the month. The N900 is the device they'll be testing MeeGo on.

^ That's pretty funny, they use it to test MeeGo, but won't offer an official version. Cuts down support costs or so, I think.

I haven't seen anyone straight up say the N900 won't get an official version. That's straight up conjecture without much basis as far as I can tell.

Back