MystikMovie

Sounds a bit dodgy to me. At Gp resolution a high quality file (with iffy sound) would come out at 12MB for a 1m 38s clip. GP div X can fit 1h 30m at very good quality sound and video in just over 100MB.

A quick update, we will have some new demos this week of our current codec build v3.5, which offers an average compression of 1-2MB/min at 240x160@15Bit - 30fps (1800 frames/minute) with improved image quality on the v3.1 build of the codec. Version 4.1 of the codec is still in development and should offer 1MB/min at the same quality.
Source : http://www.mystikmovie.com/index-frame.html

no infos about that on the net... but I think it wont be free.
If we have to pay for this one I hope it will be like GPcinema (less than 10€)
It could be good to watch movie without framedrops....
Or maybe this codec is only to encode some trailers...!
see you

Zeuss posted on Oct 22 2003 at 09:31 PM said:
maybe the 16mhz is a typo, missed the extra 6. So its 166mhz.
It's not an typo; they're just refering to the GBA demos that have been released.

Last edited by a moderator:
washo posted on Oct 23 2003 at 04:19 PM said:
no infos about that on the net... but I think it wont be free.
If we have to pay for this one I hope it will be like GPcinema (less than 10?)
It could be good to watch movie without framedrops....
Or maybe this codec is only to encode some trailers...!
see you
No it won't be free devlopers that want to use this codec have to pay license cost.

Last edited by a moderator:
A bit of info about Mystik Movie for you ;) I'm sure the main programmer of Mystik Movie won't mind me posting this...

Yes you do "currently" have to pay for a license for the codec as it is meant for professional use.

It has been written to be as fast as possible with 16mhz arm processors being the lowest spec (although it may even run at a decent speed on slower processors). As such the compression ratio is limited by the decompression the processor is capable of handling. DivX will do better compression (although it looks quite bad imho) but then try running DivX on a GBA ;) no hope at all.

Because the GBA, and other devices such as mobile phones with similiar processors, are currently the base spec the codec has been optimised to work as well as possible using some very clever (and patent applied for) compression code which the GBA can handle, the GP32 having a much faster processor will be able to handle even better compression (probably beat DivX AND run at a faster framerate) BUT as this is (as I mentioned) a commercial codec atm there will probably be no immediate work on adding higher compression ratio code which faster machines such as GP32 would be able to decode unless it becomes comercialy viable for personal use (and we all know how many sales things get compared to the actual number of people using an app/game).

on gba it's not decoding anything, it's running straight from a .gba file, so gba doesn't do much, but yes, it is huge, and i'd rather have gpcinema anyday than carry movies on multiple cards

I think before you make statements like that you should learn what you're talking about. If the gba wasn't doing any decoding then each frame would be 240x160 16bit (thats 2 bytes per pixel) which = 75k, multiply that by 30fps = 2,250k = over 2mb per second. So on an 8mb cart you would get 4 seconds of video, no audio. This is obviously not the case. The current build of the GBA codec is getting compression of around 26k a second including audio, thats a hell of a lot smaller than 2+megabytes.

As I said in my previous post it IS doing complex decoding and the gp32 having a faster processor would be able to handle much more complex decompression using something along the lines of DCT (but as the mystik codec unlike pretty much any other codec doesn't use any patented code it wouldn't be DCT) and therefore each frame would be smaller and you would get more video on an smc.

GBA processor speed can't be altered in the same way as the GP32 can, I think someone did some hardware hacking and managed to overclock it to double speed, probably with a different crystal or something.

Back