Mystery Folders : .wh..wh.orph

Mr_Loon

Can't Remember
I've just done a backup of my Pandora Apps SD card, whilst browsing the card on MS windows I found an empty directory called .wh..wh.orph

On thinking that's a bit odd, I did a quick search of the card and found 57 more of them, all sub-subfolders of the appdata directory.

As I've just done a backup of the card I deleted them all and the Pandora does not seem to miss them in any way.

A quick google tells me nothing about what the purpose of these folders are.

Does anyone know why these folders appear? What their purpose is? And whether deleting them is likely to cause any long term problems?

I'm also wondering if it's just me who has experienced this mystery.

well for one they're hidden folders (unless you're running windows :p ), which usually serve some purpose like configs etc that the user isn't supposed to edit etc

nothing in them?

Probably harmless as already said (would be nice if they deleted themselves though). The ones to check for, are if an app stops working, something like aufsx.blah (Prometheus knows about em) and they need deleting to get the app to run again. Someone wrote a script I´ll link later that seeks and destroys them :) Seems to happen (reported) by few and so far only on class6 sd cards. Perhaps the speed is too slow to correctly write out when an app is closed up.

^ Can you add aufs.xino as well, or is that not possible?

As MarioPandio notes, this happens to a few folks (as far as I know, all of us are using Class 6 SDHC Cards), and if you're one of those affected, it frequently stops apps from running again after you've used them, until you go in and delete them.

Klaue made a script to mass-delete them, for which I'm very grateful, but I can't help but think it would be nice if they were auto-deleted. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It also happens to me, and I'm using a 4GB Class 4 microSD HC Kingston card.

It also happens to me, and I'm using a 4GB Class 4 microSD HC Kingston card.
Thanks for that - I was wondering if anyone else was encountering it.

Klaue made a script to mass-delete them, for which I'm very grateful, but I can't help but think it would be nice if they were auto-deleted. :)
Link to the script please ? So I can see what have to be cleaned
You got it. :) It's in this post (there's a bit more information on what's happening in there, too, if it's of any help :p ).

You are the man, sebt3, completely. Thankyou so so very much. :D

Just one question: Where do I put it? I've not really poked around too much, so I don't know where it goes. :p

(Does this fix the .wh..wh.orph directories, too, by the way?)

You are the man, sebt3, completely. Thankyou so so very much. :D

Just one question: Where do I put it? I've not really poked around too much, so I don't know where it goes. :p

(Does this fix the .wh..wh.orph directories, too, by the way?)

The file goes in /usr/pandora/scripts. take care to have the same priviledge (owner, and rights)

All I did was adding 2 lines at line 226 :

rmdir "${APPDATADIR}/.wh..wh.orph" 2>/dev/null

rm "${APPDATADIR}/.aufs.xino" 2>/dev/null

not too much work imho ;)

You got it. :) It's in this post (there's a bit more information on what's happening in there, too, if it's of any help :p ).
Get your fix here.

;)

Thankyou for the fix sebt3.

One thing I'm unsure about is does everyone have the .wh..wh.orph directories? Or is it as per the .aufs.xino issue which just appears to crop up for a few users.

I'm one of the .aufs.xino people (I'm pretty sure I was the first to document it, way back, too :lol: ), so perhaps this is not indicative of the wider userbase at this time, but I have those directories, too.

Ack, I've got a problem! I just got the time to put the fix in last night, and all was well, but now I've booted up my Pandora today and tried to run stuff, I get the following (I'm using Firefox as an example, but I'm getting the same from everything, including the Toggle WiFi script);

Mounting the PND failed. The application wont start, Please have a look at /tmp/pndrun_firefox.out

And from that log-file;

sudo /usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh -m -p /media/PandoraMain/pandora/menu//FireFox.pnd -e firefox.sh -b firefox

sudo: no tty present and no askpass program specified

The Union File-system is not mounted !

What's happened, and what should I do to fix it?

EDIT: I tried changing its ownership to what it should be and setting the executable bit, even though the GUI already indicated that this was the case, and it fixed it. However, on restarting again, the problem returns. Any ideas?

EDIT: I tried changing its ownership to what it should be and setting the executable bit, even though the GUI already indicated that this was the case, and it fixed it. However, on restarting again, the problem returns. Any ideas?
I shouldn't have linked that file to anybody beside EvilDragon :(

It depend on other changes that have been in HF5. So what is your current hotfix level ?

Do you have the old files ? to replace and fix your issue, I could then say what to do and where to get thoses files/directories dropped on every run.

I shouldn't have linked that file to anybody beside EvilDragon :(

It depend on other changes that have been in HF5. So what is your current hotfix level ?
Ah. :lol: I'm using Hotfix 4 - I stay away from the beta Hotfixes until they're "official".

Do you have the old files ? to replace and fix your issue, I could then say what to do and where to get thoses files/directories dropped on every run.
I don't... Stupidly, after I saw it was working, I ditched the original pnd_run.sh - stupid, I know. I should know better than that. :rolleyes:

Ah. :lol: I'm using Hotfix 4 - I stay away from the beta Hotfixes until they're "official".

I don't... Stupidly, after I saw it was working, I ditched the original pnd_run.sh - stupid, I know. I should know better than that. :rolleyes:
Ok so let's fix that the other way around :

as root, edit /etc/sudoers.d/50_openpandora and add the pnd_run.sh script like the others lines.

Back