My ideas for changes to the way apps work.

This is just getting weird now. You're accusing me of being passive-aggressive because I'm politely requesting that people actually read what I've written before they reply?
I didn't think that writing "*sigh*" was the politest way you could have formed your request. I thought it was passive-aggressive.

How the hell do I "help out" in that situation?
You rephrase the part that you realised has been misunderstood. 'When I did get my PND file in there' is an odd way to describe opening an archive.

In all, my first two posts to this thread I thought were informative and quite clear in their intent. Then Tam Toucan came along, totally failed to read what I had written and gave out advice that wasn't needed. He then objected when I pointed out what I'd written, and again failed to see what I'd written, despite me making the point again.
Your post seemed to be saying that:

1) you had first expected 7zip to open the pnd when you double-clicked it and

2) when you figured how to use 7zip and open the archive, you expected it to allow you to edit the contents.

Both of these expectations (particularly the second one) are, to put it nicely, the expectations of someone new to computers. However many times you reread it, it seems to me eminently fair to assume that you are in need of advice, and that that advice should start at the basics.

Then you waded in with an unwarranted attack, and an inappropriate screengrab of my GP2X user info pane. So basically, you saw two people disagreeing from a distance, and felt that you should wander over and smack one of them in the mouth (figuratively speaking) in order to end the debate.
It didn't seem like much of a debate, more like an unwillingness to forgive a misunderstanding. My words were harsh, but no worse than the whole "*sigh*" thing, or the "are you going to embarrass yourself a third time?" taunt.

Nice skillz there.
Thank you.

I felt it highlighted a genuine failing of the current PND toolset. Please explain to me which of my posts was not justified.
This one:

ZXDunny said:
As for ED's declaration that:

1. Nobody has a valid reason for changing the contents of a PND file

2. The overlay in appdata is more than sufficient...

I call bollocks on that one too - I wanted to replace the rather crappy tiles in Lopan with my own. So I add them to my appdata. I then send my new PND to my mate by email, but he can't see my new tiles. WTF? I thought this was an overlay and by putting stuff in the appdata folder I'd be adding new stuff to the PND file. WHY CAN'T I JUST OPEN THE PND FILE IN WINDOWS AND CHANGE IT THERE? No more messing around in this confusing-as-hell "linux" thing that looks like Windows but isn't and nothing works like it should.

Now, for myself I'm quite capable of opening a terminal and using the pnd-utils to mount the sucker myself, and even build a new one if I choose but a new user with a fair knowledge of computers (been using Windows since Win95, possibly done some coding in high-level languages) will almost certainly come up with complaints like these.
Is the first part true? Did you really think that adding files to appdata would rebuild the pnd? If so, it contradicts the part where you say you're 'quite capable'. Let's assume not though - let's assume that were playing a role: that of someone who's bought a niche Linux device, but still wants to use Windows for everything; someone who fears Google and avoids documentation; someone who wants to do unusual things and expects Windows tools to seamlessly let them do it. Who is the person? When trying to address any failings with the pnd toolset, surely we should be focusing on problems experienced by actual users, rather than some hypothetical idiot.

My member title was set by me, not anyone else at GP32X.
Really? You set your own member title? How exactly? If you set it, why were you offended that I posted it?

You seem to be the aggressive one randomly attacking people here, not me.
You're not the victim of a random attack - I'm actively disagreeing with your methods and style of posting.

I blame facebook, personally, and other so called social media. Kids these days...They seem to believe that communication over the internet is all about "like"ing stuff and people, and writing little comments along the lines of "Oh, that's SUPER CUTE! Hugzzz!!!". Whilst we oldtimers know that in reality, it is all about flaming the asses off everybody else. Netiquette is for those with slow modems and dumb terminals!!!

:D /38 years old.

Nothing like starting the day with a cup of coffee and a good flamewar to get the adrenaline flowing :)

I hate it when daddy tells mommy the dishes need to be done because they're an eyesore and mommy says she was just about to but first she needs to go to the store and get some dish soap because we're all out, but then daddy backhands mommy for talking back and tells her to just use hand soap because soap is soap and he doesn't hear the dishes asking about any specific type so it can't be that important.

Also, I'm probably a jerk for posting again when things are looking to have settled down but I just came up with this retort/analogy in the lucid moments just before waking up (which may say something disturbing about my psyche) and really needed to get it out of my system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, I'm probably a jerk for posting again when things are looking to have settled down but I just came up with this retort/analogy in the lucid moments just before waking up (which may say something disturbing about my psyche) and really needed to get it out of my system.

<eliza>

Tell me about your childhood. Do you often think you're a jerk for posting again when things are looking to have settled down?

</eliza>

D.

[Edit]

Oh right, this tailed off days ago, never mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back