My Gp2x Won't Boot Anymore!

gwood1234

Still Fresh
I've had my GP2X just over a year now without problems. However, since I've not used it for a while imagine my horror when I took it out of the drawer and fired it up only to get a scrambled 'Starting Up' screen! After turning it on and off a few times I eventually managed to get it to boot normally, but it's really temperamental and won't always boot, just the same garbled screen on startup. I'm running Firmware 3.0.0. but when 4.0 came out I tried that but went back to version 3 as it was rubbish! It was never a problem since flashing back to 3 though so surely can't be that..

Can someone please help? I'm at my wits end!

Regards
Gareth

[25/7/2008 @ 12:24 - Moved --> I need help - Tobriand]

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you use rechargeable batteries or a power supply? I guess that you have problems with bad batteries. Try some other batteries or charge and discharge your batteries a few times.

Regards,
Stephan

Yes, I use rechargeables so maybe that's the problem? Although I've never had trouble in the past. Will give that a go anyway. Thanks for the advice.

Regards
Gareth

gwood1234 said:
Yes, I use rechargeables so maybe that's the problem? Although I've never had trouble in the past. Will give that a go anyway. Thanks for the advice.

Regards
Gareth
Maybe a faulty SD card ? Try booting without any card inserted.
regards

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same kind of issue. I put freshly charged batteries in and when i turn it on it will give me a garbled screen after the gp2x sound. If I use the AC adapter it will boot fine. The batteries are good. They work in anything I throw at them for hours. I noticed if I don't push the power button all the way down, it will boot fine. The power button is really finicky. I think I might have to open it up and fix that button. Could have a short like my headphone jack did. I might have to resolder the points.

If it isn't working well with batteries but is fine with AC then check:

Dirty battery contacts.

Bent battery contacts that don't put enough pressure on the batteries.

Broken/loose solder joints on battery terminals (inside).

Rechargeable batteries that are old and worn out.

Thirding recommendation of getting new rechargeables. The GP2X really stresses batteries out. I had a set of quality Maha's last less than 100 cycles

Back