My Gp2x Stopped Working...

Werdersmoke

Still Fresh
*NOTE: my problem has been solved*

About a month ago I got up for school, and like any other regular day played my GP2X for about 5 minutes. It was working perfectly until I came home. I noticed it wasn't reading my SD card, so I thought "Hey, how the heck was my SD erased?? Oh well, gotta write all that stuff over again!".

So I went and plugged my 2GB Sandisk SD card into my card reader, and to my amazement, everything was still there! I reformatted the SD anyway to see if that would work, but to no avail! I then tried another SD that worked fine before, and it failed to detect it as well! I went to play some built in games a few days later (because my Video Cable arrived shortly afterwards) and they did not show up either! I am so disappointed because I never got to use the Video Cable. :(

I am running Firmware 3,0,0 (from when I first bought my new Value Pack back in September) and I never ran any unknown programs or tried to mess with the firmware or anything. What could have caused this? Is there any way to fix it? I appreciate any help, thanks in advance!

Squidge said:
but the usual menu shows up asking you whether to open games, video, ebook, etc?
Yes, but I cannot access the built in games nor my SD card. It just acts as though I have no card in, and acts as though there are no built in games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like some faulty filesystem where the mountpoints or the mount scripts are gone.

You can try to reflash the firmware (WITHOUT gp2xboot.img!).
If the flashing starts, it's definately some faulty filesystem.
If flashing doesn't start, it's a hardware problem. Don't think so, though, as both NAND and SD Card slot would need to go bust at the same time...

If you're lucky, it works after reflashing.
If not, you've got a few bad blocks.

You could then try to downgrade to FW 2.0.0 (again, WITHOUT gp2xboot.img) and after that upgrade to 2.1.1 (which is better anyways), that might work.

If that also doesn't work, you need to reset the NAND with the cradle and a special tool and manually reflash it.

Do you need some instructions for downgrading to FW 2.0.0?
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=34838

Posted some there :)

Last edited:
So for the flashing process would the standard GP2X batteries be enough? Or would I need to use an A/C adapter? Also on the GP2X file archive there are two different FW 3.0.0's, which one do I use?

euro48k said:
if you have the ac-adapter.. use it for the firmware flash

start with 2.0 from gp2x archive
http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,42,1472

you'll add 2.1 or 3.0 later if everything goes ok with the flashing thing

good luck

So, I can't use the standard GP2X batteries? That stinks. Where would I buy an AC adapter for the GP2x? I don't want to wait a month for Play-Asia to get them in stock...(That is how long it took to get the Video Cable in stock...) And on another note this thread states that downgrading your firmware will brick it... But it is worth the risk though right? I mean, either way I can't use it... Sorry for sounding so stupid... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
i thought you have that ac-adapter already..well
use brand new bateries or rechargeable ..don`t go on firmware thing with drained batteries

Sweet! the downgrade worked! Thanks guys! Aaaaand it's all good! Thank you so much guys! :)

Back