My Gp2X Just Died!

nuts32605

Still Fresh
I was playing my GP2X and suddenly, it died. I've tried 6 different sets of batteries and I've never dropped the thing. In short, I'm sure the beast has passed. :(

Now my question is, what should I get to replace it? There's the Pandora, the Wiz, and now the Caanoo. I couldn't have asked more from my GP2X and I am looking for something suitable to replace it. I've been away from the scene for awhile, so I don't really know what each system has over the other. For me, emulation and games comes first. But Music and movies are important. Finally something with good battery life would be nice.

P.S. I know this might not be in the right forum, but I really don't know where else to ask about this.

I think the best replacement for your GP2X would be a Pandora; it's got great battery life, good hardware, and I think it will definitely catch up to the GP2X in terms of a large app library. The only downside is availability; you'll have to wait a good while to get yours.

I personally ordered a Caanoo because it was cheaper and more readily available. I think it will have a nice software library as well and I've heard good things about it, so I'm excited for it. I think though that the Pandora may be the best choice, if you're willing to wait / pay extra for it on eBay.

Well, I had actually been following the development of the Pandora, but that was a year or two ago. It's still like $300 isn't it? I was actually a little disappointed, it doesn't seem like there's as big a community behind it as I thought there would be. Though, someone said there was a dreamcast emulator for it. :)

If the pandora is still $300, I'll have to have a good reason to go for it over the Wiz or the Caanoo, which are like half the price. Gah, I just want to play some PicoDrive SOOO bad right now...

nuts32605 said:
Well, I had actually been following the development of the Pandora, but that was a year or two ago. It's still like $300 isn't it? I was actually a little disappointed, it doesn't seem like there's as big a community behind it as I thought there would be. Though, someone said there was a dreamcast emulator for it. :)

If the pandora is still $300, I'll have to have a good reason to go for it over the Wiz or the Caanoo, which are like half the price. Gah, I just want to play some PicoDrive SOOO bad right now...
Unfortunately yes, it's still a little *over* $300 :p IMO the Pandora would be the biggest step up from the GP2X, but I'll let others argue for it if they feel so inclined. The Caanoo is pretty nice and as you may have noticed lately, PicoDrive has been ported to it :D . Dingoo Digital USA has the (hold on, last time I said chea-pest I trigged a spam filter) the smallest price in the US, and GP2X Shop in the EU.

I think Caanoo development is coming along nicely, and you'll be pretty satisfied with it if you get one. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Tux.King said:
Unfortunately yes, it's still a little *over* $300 :p IMO the Pandora would be the biggest step up from the GP2X, but I'll let others argue for it if they feel so inclined. The Caanoo is pretty nice and as you may have noticed lately, PicoDrive has been ported to it :D . Dingoo Digital USA has the (hold on, last time I said chea-pest I trigged a spam filter) the smallest price in the US, and GP2X Shop in the EU.

I think Caanoo development is coming along nicely, and you'll be pretty satisfied with it if you get one. :)

I looked up the GPH site and they have nothing about the Caanoo. Is there a website I can visit to get some specifics on it? I'm wondering what their release schedule looks like. They only came out last month, and Dingoo Digital USA says they're back-ordered.

nuts32605 said:
I looked up the GPH site and they have nothing about the Caanoo. Is there a website I can visit to get some specifics on it? I'm wondering what their release schedule looks like. They only came out last month, and Dingoo Digital USA says they're back-ordered.
You can find some hardware specifics on the Wiki page for it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GP2X_Caanoo

I don't know where you can find a release schedule, sorry. As for the back order, they are shipped in batches to DDU; DDU has said in another thread here that preorders didn't go so well for the second batch, so when they get to him (should be today or tomorrow) you'll be able to order one from the extra stock if you wish.

DingooDigitalUSA said:
They should ship tonight or tomorrow from Korea then it takes about 4 to 5 days to get here...

DingooDigitalUSA said:
Pre-orders didn't go good and will have about 5 of each after pre-orders

!!! Yes !!! I managed to fix my GP2X! Huzzah!

I still had the cradle and I managed to flash the firmware and get it to boot again.

I still might get a Caanoo just for the fun of it. Thanks anyways!

nuts32605 said:
!!! Yes !!! I managed to fix my GP2X! Huzzah!

I still had the cradle and I managed to flash the firmware and get it to boot again.

I still might get a Caanoo just for the fun of it. Thanks anyways!
No problem, glad to hear it's working! :D

Back