Another "wiz Vs ........" Thread

Numi

Still Fresh
Hello,

newbie here and needing some advice from all you knowledgeable people.

I've been thinking about getting myself a GP2X (or something similar) for a while now but as I am a newbie to the whole homebrew/emulation scene, I have a wee bit of a dilema.

I leaning more towards the Wiz, from all of the reviews and information I've seen/read up on it, it all looks good to me. However, I was thinking of getting a 3rd generation ipod touch for xmas to replace my old Sony AW mp3 player and wonder if I'm better to skip the Wiz and just use the ipod for my emulation needs.

The problem for me is that the ipod emulation looks quite complicated from what I've seen and it's a lot of money to spend on something I could possibly 'brick'(?) through my own lack of knowledge.

So, I suppose my question here is, which is the better/easier of the two for a newcomer to the emulation scene?

Thanks in advance.

Emulated games on a touchscreen only device. Just think about it for a second.

Are you likely to gain the same amount of enjoyment from a touchscreen device as something that has (pretty much) all the buttons you'll need to play an emulated game properly?

The iPod Touch and iPhone may well be quite powerful, and can run emulators with ease, but the interface is NEVER going to compare with something with a DPad and buttons.

So, I suppose my question here is, which is the better/easier of the two for a newcomer to the emulation scene?
So, which do you think? ;)

Welcome to the forums BTW :)

iPod touch and iPhone = FAIL

Take my advice... Get Wiz

gp2x-wiz-brochure.jpg

It looks like it will fit in your pocket nicely ;) :p

I was obviously speaking about the standalone device and touchscreen alone.

The TouchPod is a great piece of kit in its own right and has plenty of software to keep your thumbs busy but if you want to play classic emulated games it's a fail.

Most of the emulators aren't very smooth on the iPod touch, at least that's how I felt with my experience. Do you want a device that has virtually unlimited storage space with SD Cards, a huge development community for great emulators, apps, and other homebrew, and proper, physical controls, all for $129.99, or do you want a device that has little homebrew, few apps, faulty emulators, bad controls without modding, and a space limit of 64 GB for $200-400? If you really want great emulation with great control, then I would go with the Wiz. It can even play music and videos! You will be very pleased with a Wiz, but be warned. GPH has announced that they will be releasing a new console next year, so it is up to you to decide whether or not to wait for that mysterious console.

or do you want a device that has little homebrew, few apps, faulty emulators, bad controls without modding, and a space limit of 64 GB for $200-400?
The iPod Touch and iPhone have approx. 90,000 apps - that's not as little/few as you make it sound! :p

GPH has announced that they will be releasing a new console next year
Have they? If you mean the F300 then that's been cancelled and wasn't really a "new" console

iprice said:
or do you want a device that has little homebrew, few apps, faulty emulators, bad controls without modding, and a space limit of 64 GB for $200-400?
The iPod Touch and iPhone have approx. 90,000 apps - that's not as little/few as you make it sound! :p

Have they? If you mean the F300 then that's been cancelled and wasn't really a "new" console

Yeah, this is news to me. I haven't heard about any new console with the possible exception of the f300 which yes, has been canceled.

Any of the well connected want to chime in and put this rumor to waste?
Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
The iPhone and Touch do have like the worst LCD ever though. The contrast is just poor, and it can't do black for shit. The color seems rather washed out too. I was shocked at how bad of an LCD Apple is putting in these things.

The Wiz does perfect black although the screen is smaller.

Why don't you start this thread on an iPod forum too. I bet their answer will be different.

christo930 said:
iprice said:

Yeah, this is news to me. I haven't heard about any new console with the possible exception of the f300 which yes, has been canceled.

Any of the well connected want to chime in and put this rumor to waste?
Chris

It's true. I tweeted the video they released and posted it here, but no one took any real notice.

The iPod Touch is amazing for alot of reasons.
Classic games isn't one of them. There are lots of emulators that run at excellent speeds for the device, but without physical buttons it's near impossible to play games that rely on reflexes and accuracy, like Mario or Street Fighter.
On my iPod touch the only games I found playable were games like Pokemon. Games that don't rely at all on accuracy or speed.

That's my two cents.

craigix said:
It's true. I tweeted the video they released and posted it here, but no one took any real notice.

I just watched it here and must say if that's true that is pretty crappy news for Wiz owners. He's like "well for now enjoy your Wiz but soon it will be replaced". Well not exactly but he minds well of said that.

NumInoR perhaps you should look into the Dingoo A320. <_<

Maybe the new console will be something more up to par with the Pandora, e.g. GP2X look + OLED screen + OMAP35x internals. :p

Crookedmouth said:
I just watched it here and must say if that's true that is pretty crappy news for Wiz owners. He's like "well for now enjoy your Wiz but soon it will be replaced". Well not exactly but he minds well of said that.
Is he talking about a second generation Wiz, like the GP2X F200 was for the GP2X, or a completely new and incompatible handheld that will replace it?

Back