Another "wiz Vs ........" Thread

The Wiz is a phenomenal machine with tons of potential! How come it feels like everybody is expecting it to die off really soon? Stop giving up on it!!!!!

It seems like its not getting any attention...most of the attention is on the pandora! I like the pandora but honestly i still like the Wiz more...it just seems alot more practicle for the casual retro gamers.

Hoax said:
It seems like its not getting any attention...most of the attention is on the pandora! I like the pandora but honestly i still like the Wiz more...it just seems alot more practicle for the casual retro gamers.

The Wiz may not be getting as much written attention on these boards, but that doesn't mean it's not being bought, played or new stuff being developed for it. Even when the Pandora arrives, there will be new stuff for it. Not everyone here on this site is getting a Pandora and lots will continue to use the Wiz if they do (I will continue to develop for the Wiz when I have my Pandora).

The Wiz is not dead yet and should have plenty of life in it. It's just unfortunate that GPH seem to lack the skill needed to make the Wiz a bigger player. They have made (and continue to make) stupid mistakes.

The Pandora is new, so of course there is a lot of excitement about it (and rightfully so - it'd be terrible if there weren't). Pandora prattle will settle down eventually.

And even if it is killed off early by GPH at least we'll still have a great little handheld to play on, while waiting for the next great little handheld (wherever that might come from).

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if it stopped being supported, what difference would that make? Unless you've completed every NES, SNES, Genesis, Master System, GBA, GB, CPS1+2 game you'll still have something to do on it.

Peter R said:
Has it actually been said anywhere that they will be phasing out the Wiz? Maybe GPH are going to release an additional system?

I don't think GPH has the resources to properly support two platforms at the same time. Actually, I don't think they have the resources to properly support one platform, but that's not related.

We all remember what happened to GP2X F200, suddenly discontinued over half a year before Wiz came out, even though there was still decent demand for it. Hopefully GPH will at least not be this indifferent to their userbase this time around, but I just can't see them pushing two at the same time when there aren't going to be a lot of established reasons to get Wiz over the other one. For the new one to not totally cannibalize the Wiz it'd have to be in a totally different price point. So either very cheap or decently expensive. I guess Pandora levels. Then it'd probably be more directly competing with Pandora which sounds like it'd get ugly.

SONY said:
That's not the point though...The point is when a company produces a game system, we want to know that they're not in it just for the money.
Every company exist to make money. There may be people that work there with a serious passion but even they wouldn't be there if they weren't getting payed. I couldn't care less what their motives are as long as it overlaps with my interests.

axiomprime said:
SONY said:
That's not the point though...The point is when a company produces a game system, we want to know that they're not in it just for the money.
Every company exist to make money. There may be people that work there with a serious passion but even they wouldn't be there if they weren't getting payed. I couldn't care less what their motives are as long as it overlaps with my interests.
I think what SONY is getting at, is that you want a company to care about the product they're selling and do their best to give it a good future - as opposed to selling a bunch of them and then moving on the next model a year later.

I hope to hell that whatever they're cooking up is fully Wiz compatible, and in the Dingoo price range. I can see a "Wiz lite" being a winner for everyone.

I think the docking station idea is a massive win. I've seen that idea kicked about before but I think it's workable now with good enough grafx for the big screen and a small enough price point to be worth it.

I don't like it when a company takes my money then shafts me but that's not really applicable to an open source machine.

axiomprime said:
Even if it stopped being supported, what difference would that make? Unless you've completed every NES, SNES, Genesis, Master System, GBA, GB, CPS1+2 game you'll still have something to do on it.
There are still some bugs to be worked out with the various emulators, for example a few of the games I've tried to play either won't work or have serious bugs. But for the most part everything runs the way it's supposed to and your right.

Does anyone else think that the Genesis emulator is by far the best emu avalible for the Wiz as of yet? The SNES one comes in at a close second, but when you pause the Genesis emu it'll show you your battery life and what time it is. With all of the other emus you'd have to leave the game to check battery levels or time.
SONY said:
Theoretically market forces (the profit motive) encourage companies to make wise decisions or risk loosing profit or even going out of business. But this isn't always the case, apparently.

Hey!. Want a console that can automatically, seamlessly and painlessly BRICK itself without a second thought?. Buy a Wiz, and prepare for the stress caused by a company who couldn't design a wheel and get it right... you've been warned!. Fact.

Sticking the word "fact" at the end of a sentence, makes the contents of that sentence factual. Fact.

axiomprime said:
Sticking the word "fact" at the end of a sentence, makes the contents of that sentence factual. Fact.

:D yeah, my mistake.

I'm happy with my cell phone looking like a phone and my portable gaming system looking like a GB micro on 'roids. It sucks playing games with a keypad, just as much as it sucks holding something the size of a brick (glossywhite?) to my head to call someone. Not every portable device has to have built-in GPS, a camera, Wi-Fi, and messaging. That's just marketing. We don't need one product built for everybody. I mean, look at how homogenized automobiles are these days. They don't have the personality of cars from back in the day. The Wiz can't do this and doesn't have that feature and this doesn't work on it? Buy it for what it does, not vice-versa.

Buy an iPod or a PSP if you want something that will "just work." People who can't get their PCs working right are buying Macs every day for this reason. To some people the Wiz might not meet up to their standards, but I got 500+ games working on it for the purchase price. Good enough for me.

I hooked up w/ ur mom last night. Fact.

axiomprime said:

Hi, I'm Jonathan Frakes, welcoming you to another episode of 'Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction.'

Tonight's story...

Ending a sentence using the word 'fact' actually make it more true than it is. Fact? Or Fiction?

Back