Music For Your Stuff!

danthonyb

Still Fresh
Hello.

I'm in the process of setting up a space to provide original music to Pandora developers to use in your apps and games.

It is all 8-bit inspired, NES-esque music that should work well with platformers, rpg's, and whatnot. My goal is to create simple, catchy music - just like the old days!

Any way, check it out. Currently I have only upped one track, but the selection should grow exponentially in the near future.

virb.com/homochristo

Wow, the track you uploaded is quite nice, even just to listen to. I won't be able to use this music, but it certainly will be part of my library. Keep up the good work! :)

Yeah, it sounds quite good. Looking forward to more - maybe I'll find something I can use in my upcoming project (or a video for it, who knows). :)

Thanks a lot, guys.

I just put up another tune. I'll probably add a third later today.

The Underground History of Education, is really really good... could see it being a great addition to any game.

Very nice tracks. :) You certainly have a knack for layering melodies. If I have one piece of constructive criticism it's that the tracks seem overly bassline oriented (the first two in particular). I'm thinking those tracks would build more effectively if they opened with shorter bass notes, or if they opened with the melody and had the bass kick in after the intro. I kinda feel like a jerk criticising though. Keep up the fantastic work!

i really enjoyed listening to all three pieces. great work, man!

btw, what did you make them in?

Gruso, Don't feel like a jerk. I appreciate constructive criticism.

I've come to the very same realization and any future tunes I make will probably steer clear of that kind of thing. I'm a bass player so I tend to overdo the bass lines. Good ears!

My main worry is that I'm not making usable game music. I'll have to go listen to some of my favourite old games and see how the songs are structured. It's not the standard verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-verse-chorus type of music.

Oh, I'm just sticking to Garageband for this, using an Axiom49 midi keyboard. The sounds are coming from an AU plug-in called "magic8bit", or something like that.

Anyway, thanks for checking it out!

Ah, glad I didn't sound too jerky. :)

Regarding structure... I'm just getting myself started making tunes, and doing it with games in mind does make it interesting. It's easier in some ways than trying to cater to a discerning dance floor, but I think it's harder in other ways. Check out the theme to PandoraPanic, made by Pat Ferguson (aka pferguso). It's a fairly short tune, and the way it loops is something I've had my magnifying glass on. When it loops back to the start, it's not immediately obvious that it's restarted - it really continues seamlessly. Simple but clever structuring.

I'm putting together a title track for one of the games being made for Pandora, and I'm trying to achieve a similar thing. To make it seamless, the intro has to sound like both an intro, and a second verse of sorts. Which means I have to compromise on how the intro is structured. It's definitely a challenge, but fun. :)

As you say, the best thing any of us can do is listen listen listen to all the game music we can! For the record, I don't think your tunes will have any trouble fitting into the right game.

Well, I have been checking out some older games. I tried to make a tune kinda similar to something you might find in "Who Killed Roger Rabbit" or one of the "Ducktales" Games.

It didn't quite work out how I wanted it to, but I upped it anyways.

Oh well, I'll call it a failed experiment that taught me a little something.

Good stuff! I'm especially loving "William Gull Did It!" and "Troy Novantum"; I just can't stop playing them over and over again (lovely melody :D )! I'd agree with Gruso's comment, though. But they're still nice tunes :)

I'm glad you're digging it.

I put up another that is composed largely of a blaring siren. Hope you all enjoy it!

this is all impressive stuff! keep up the good work

i actually really love 8-bit music and there is some good 8-bit remixes out there. i especially liked the chocolate rain remix http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caIBKOztlAo

HomoChristo said:
Well, I have been checking out some older games. I tried to make a tune kinda similar to something you might find in "Who Killed Roger Rabbit" or one of the "Ducktales" Games.

It didn't quite work out how I wanted it to, but I upped it anyways.

Oh well, I'll call it a failed experiment that taught me a little something.
I listened to the track, and I think the main problem was that you tried two riffs on the same channel in that staggered pattern, and it seems they just kind of trip over each other. Taking one of them out would probably make it easier for the ear to follow.
Yeah, I know nothing about music. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
The one with the blaring siren was a good effort, but I think it needs even more siren and less of that high-pitched thingy.
I was expecting something the siren to be very constant and maybe lower pitched, so it would be like a boss theme or something.

Back