Multiplayer

Natro

This has probably already been addressed, but is there or can there be multiplayer capabilities for the Pandora?

Well, given that it's linux based with both wifi and bluetooth, I'd say it's more than capable, just depends on the software ;)

Other than that, there is also the classic methods of using a usb hub to connect multiple usb controllers and playing that way (might be more feasible once the tv-out cables ship), or hotseat games :p

As long as the emulators support it, sure. You could connect multiple controllers via USB, or use some kind of net play.

PandoraLive bitches.

Just need to provide an API for developers to use.

TLJRyan said:
PandoraLive bitches.

Just need to provide an API for developers to use.

Why make a new multiplayer component? It's a computer. These things are solved. I want to play Skulltag with everyone else who plays it, not just with Pandora owners.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kicker said:
Why make a new multiplayer component? It's a computer. These things are solved. I want to play Skulltag with everyone else who plays it, not just with Pandora owners.
You're right.

Alpha2 said:
Multiplayer Networks require servers. I dont see anyone rushing to set one up. :unsure:

But Ad-hoc multiplayer doesn't.

-God Ginrai

quadomatic said:
God Ginrai said:
Alpha2 said:
Multiplayer Networks require servers. I dont see anyone rushing to set one up. :unsure:

But Ad-hoc multiplayer doesn't.

-God Ginrai

Is that just direct connection between Pandora's? I don't imagine that would be too amazing...

Wireless multiplayer with Pandoras, like the Nintendo DS does.

-God Ginrai

This, that...

There are multiplayer games that allow for lots of different devices to use one server (you can eventually probably connect with the pandora to a general TTD server for instance, one of my favorites)

And ad-hoc is also possible over the internet, not only direct bluetooth/wifi. With very simple games even running a server and client on the pandora itself if not too many clients connect (well, not saying it will be done, but it happened early nineties, pandora could handle it hardware wise)

The PSP allows you to Ad-hoc/direct connect through the PS3 with the Ad-hoc Party application (Not so much requiring a serer except to keep you matched up with people you share the same game with or people you know.) which basically "tunneling" I believe it's called? but that would require you to have a PC or home computer to connect to another Pandora that's searching for the same game to play against. Also I think it's kinda wasteful bandwidth wise but that might just have been my connection sucking the last time I used it.

Pandoras have bluetooth you know... you could just directly connect them through that.

Alpha2 said:
The PSP allows you to Ad-hoc/direct connect through the PS3 with the Ad-hoc Party application (Not so much requiring a serer except to keep you matched up with people you share the same game with or people you know.) which basically "tunneling" I believe it's called? but that would require you to have a PC or home computer to connect to another Pandora that's searching for the same game to play against. Also I think it's kinda wasteful bandwidth wise but that might just have been my connection sucking the last time I used it.

Pandoras don't need any such intermediary for wireless play.

-God Ginrai

So we can set up an ad-hoc connection between two Pandoras without requiring a hub? I'd love to know how to do that, as I bought two Pandoras specifically for multiplayer gaming development .. at some point .. and was thinking I'd have to have both of them connected to the same WLAN hub to make it work.

Also would be curious about how to get the Bluetooth connection made - for my purposes, this would be a bit more useful, since its lower-power ..

I only brought up Adhoc Party because it's not particularly easy to just pull out my pandora (which I dont have yet) and play you in a game of something. It would be simple if you had two Pandora's right next to each other for sure, but how long will it be before you actually have enough of them out in the wild that it can happen more naturally without buying two buy yourself? So it would either need a central server/hub to connect people like PSN or Live. or each game would have to be designed to seek out the IP address of another player to connect.

Alpha2 said:
I only brought up Adhoc Party because it's not particularly easy to just pull out my pandora (which I dont have yet) and play you in a game of something. It would be simple if you had two Pandora's right next to each other for sure, but how long will it be before you actually have enough of them out in the wild that it can happen more naturally without buying two buy yourself? So it would either need a central server/hub to connect people like PSN or Live. or each game would have to be designed to seek out the IP address of another player to connect.
Probably just a couple of months for me. I know two people specifically who are getting Pandoras. ;)

-God Ginrai

I'm writing a multilayer game, and also hoping to add muliplayer to battlejewels.. I suspect our current q3 ports are built wihout networking, or some bugs.. Couldn't get a list of servers or type one in, but no time to check the source. Once we have network play sorted in q3 I imagine it'll be soon someone sets up a pandora q3 server so we're all equally 'handicapped'

freeciv multiplayer should work fine

descent mp maybe...

JeffPhone

Back