Multiplayer Pandora Action

worzyl

On the "While were waiting thread...", myself and some others (Near-Kun) was wondering about seeing some multiplayer action on Pandora. Knowing that Ed and Craig are busy men right now and that a video of this would take some time, I was wondering if anybody has any reports on this. Examples being (copy and pasted from other thread):

1) 2,3 or 4 players action on one pandora (Ninja turtles, Esp Rade, Streetfighter, Bomberman etc)
2) 2 or more pandoras having a multi player FPS battle.

3) @Near-Kun: What about TV-Out cable and multiplayer on a single pandora? I mean, one player playing with the pandora as gamepad, and other player using an USB Gamepad to play. Both playing together looking at the TV Screen? That would be nice!

The TV out option wouldn't be possible to show as yet as they haven't been sent to anyone, but the first 2 options would be interesting to see from current Pandora owners.

I know this has been talked about before, but I'd like to see some emulators that can have two Pandoras playing a multi player game. I think some NES emulators have the ability to play over the net, and I think SNES9X was working on it at one point. It doesn't make much sense on computers since they are usually separated by miles but 4 Pandoras can be in the same room.

A Pandora with a USB hub allowing 4 players being displayed through the tv-out would be cool also.

OMG YOU'RE A GENIUS!
you just reminded me of this thing my friend showed me a few days ago!!! awesome
anyways
its called kaillera, any1 heard of it, it lets you play like n64 emulators online if you have the same version of emulator and rom, from what i saw it was mostly koreans or something playing it but if we could some how get this on pandora at about the point when n64 emulation becomes better the possibilities of me playing super smash bros with some of you guys in Europe, sounds like heaven to me!
site
sry cant do research, and you might not see me around for a bit i gotta move, but check it out some1 and let me know if this is any way possible

Kaillera has come up before. To cut a very long story short, if memory serves I'm afraid it's closed source and not feasible - sorry about that. (Someone please do correct me if I'm wrong, though.)

Prometheus said:
Kaillera has come up before. To cut a very long story short, if memory serves I'm afraid it's closed source and not feasible - sorry about that. (Someone please do correct me if I'm wrong, though.)
There is Okai (Open Kaillera) but the website seems to be down (domain no longer exists). There's probably source code floating around somewhere.
edit: It's on sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/okai/
The P2P version of Kaillera is also there (much faster than the normal one, doesn't require a server, but does require port forwarding/UPnP for all players)
And some useful info I found somewhere else:
The 0.15 WIP version (latest) is compileable on linux and has been tested to work perfectly. As far as dependencies are concerned, it only depends on pthread (threading), rt (clock) and juce (GUI). The rest is written with portable bsd socket functions and standard c++. Juce sources needs to be downloaded to compile those sources and is obtainable from their website. It depends on pthread, X11 & freetype. Since all distros have them, there should be no problems involving compilation, linkage and usage.

I'd love to see a Mupen64Plus version with Kaillera support :)

Last edited by a moderator:
just checked the kaillera forums and found the multiplayer games list, here it is for those interested
Gauntlet 4
General Chaos
Gunstar Heroes
Herzog Zwei
Marble Madness
Mega Bomberman
Micro Machines
Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat II
NBA JAM
NBA JAM - TE
NHL 94
Sonic 2
Sonic 3
Sonic And Knuckles
Speedball 2
Street Fighter II - Special Champion Edition
Streets Of Rage
Streets Of Rage 2
Streets Of Rage 3
Super Street Fighter II - The New Challengers
TMNT - The Hyper Stone Heist
Weaponlord
Zany Golf

i know theres not much any1 can do until source and linux support are released but maybe this will be some incentive to keep our eyes open? and our pandoras too :D

Aren't some of those games on that list, listed on MAME that already has multiplayer? If so, maybe a pandora owner could try out some of these on multiplayer with usb joypad etc.

pokitfoxx said:
just checked the kaillera forums and found the multiplayer games list, here it is for those interested
Gauntlet 4
General Chaos
Gunstar Heroes
Herzog Zwei
Marble Madness
Mega Bomberman
Micro Machines
Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat II
NBA JAM
NBA JAM - TE
NHL 94
Sonic 2
Sonic 3
Sonic And Knuckles
Speedball 2
Street Fighter II - Special Champion Edition
Streets Of Rage
Streets Of Rage 2
Streets Of Rage 3
Super Street Fighter II - The New Challengers
TMNT - The Hyper Stone Heist
Weaponlord
Zany Golf
That's a bizarrely short list. I remember playing games via Kaillera a very long time ago that aren't in this list.

i know theres not much any1 can do until source and linux support are released but maybe this will be some incentive to keep our eyes open? and our pandoras too :D
I was of the impression that there was no chance of this. Is there some reason you believe that it's a matter of "until"? :p

i agree the list does seem really short, maybe its just a full speed list? im not sure i just found it on the faq
forum emulator section
i know it doesnt include super smash which i know is playable because i saw a few servers running it.
as far as "until" this is my source :D
faq

-It seems like the Kaillera libraries are not open source. Is Kaillera going to be open sourced sometime in the future? Why is it not open-source?

Kaillera is not open-source right now because the protocol is always changing and evolving. We don't really want the code released to the public at this time due to people changing and compiling their own version s with a different Kaillera protocol. The impact this would have on the servers would be quite dramatic.

- Wait a minute! I thought the MAME team said that every project based on it should be open source! It looks like the MAME version of Kaillera is in violation of the MAME license agreement!

No and no.

First, Kaillera itself is NOT part of MAME in ANY WAY, nor is it based on or contain any code from MAME. We do have a Kaillera-enabled version of MAME called MAME32k and its source code available for download on the Kaillera website. The MAME license does not say that every project based on it has to be open source. Furthermore, MAME is not GPL. Its policy just asks each "forked" project to change the name so it doesn't interfere with the MAME name.

Kaillera supports the MAME project! We enjoy and encourage its further development.

(Back to the top.)

- Why is there no Linux/Mac/etc. client port?

There are plans in the works to port the Kaillera client to Linux. Currently, we can not release any details regarding that project, and we still want to iron out all the bugs in the current client and server before the ports happen.

please let me know if i am not interpretting these faq questions correctly, but it seems like an UNTIL for now :D

EDIT: whoops forgot a whole question out my bad

pokitfoxx said:

Did you completely ignore my post mentioning Open Kaillera which is both open-source and has linux support? :(

edit: And that list is way too short, pretty much any multiplayer game supported by any emulator with Kaillera support will work. I'm mostly interested in N64 multiplayer :D

Looking at it again, that list seems to only contain Mega Drive games. I know that Kawaks (a CPS1, CPS2, and NeoGeo emulator for Microsoft Windows) used to use Kaillera - it worked rather well.

Also, I didn't know there was an open equivalent. That is most interesting.

Sorry, I'm a little confused by all this. Are there no emulators that work on the pandora with mulitplayer options as yet? On the pandora videos there was footage of donpachi which is a multiplayer game. Does this not work in 2 player mode? (I know it would be tricky for 2 people to snuggle up and watch the tiny screen.)

Or is there something I may have missed?

^ Picodrive works with external controllers, so you could play two-player Genesis/Megadrive games.

torpor used that flight sim on his pandoras in network mode already. Don't know about anyone else who did something similar.

As TV-Out cables are still not shipping (Really unhappy about the current situation - I really need one for many different things) most of the games don't really work that well in multiplayer, let alone the poor gamepad support in some emulators and ports.

Zevdawg was talking about ordering 250 of the connectors for the tv-out cable back in mid-July (TYCO part no. 1717169-2). The part had an 8 week lead time, so assuming he ordered them back then, they should be arriving soon. :) However, he hasn't logged in since 17 August and hasn't posted about it since back in July... :(

JayFoxRox said:
As TV-Out cables are still not shipping (Really unhappy about the current situation - I really need one for many different things) most of the games don't really work that well in multiplayer,

Hmm I don't know about that. We had a blast playing Mortal Kombat 2 on the Pandora's screen when testing out some gamepads. Would have liked to given Micro Machines a go too, if I'd had time.

I'd really like it if more emulators started supporting gamepads - I want to try Mario Kart 64 on the small screen (hmm, 4 players? :D)

Back