Multifunction Sd Cards

found this while viewing the pdf file:

The SDIO (Secure Digital I/O) card is based on and compatible with the SD memory card. This compatibility
includes mechanical, electrical, power, signaling and software. The intent of the SDIO card is to provide
high-speed data I/O with low power consumption for mobile electronic devices. A primary goal is that an SDIO
card inserted into a non-SDIO aware host will cause no physical damage or disruption of that device or it’s
software. In this case, the SDIO card should simply be ignored. Once inserted into an SDIO aware host, the
detection of the card will be via the normal means described in the SD specification with some extensions. In
this state, the SDIO card will be idle and draw a small amount of power (15 mA averaged over 1 second).
During the normal initialization and interrogation of the card by the host, the card will identify itself as an SDIO
device. The host software will then obtain the card information in a tuple (linked list) format and determine if
that card’s I/O function(s) are acceptable to activate. This decision will be based on such parameters as power
requirements or the availability of appropriate software drivers. If the card is acceptable, it will be allowed to
power up fully and start the I/O function(s) built into it.

might require more power than the gp2x can offer at this time, but sdio isn't even out yet... definitely a possiblity though

Back