msdos emulator

nihil-00

i read about msdos for msx, version 1.8.
i don't know absolutely what i am talking about, i just know about this just trough this link: http://xydirect.com/msx/ShortComents.asp?IdRom=msdos18

did anyone check that (i am too lazy to do that by myself, especially at this hour in the morning...)?
or does anybody know about a dos emulator built for some machine we already have an emulator for?
(oh my god, an emulator inside another one.... brrrrrrrrr)
and, by the way, admitting this msdos 1.8 runs on msx emulator (at a decent speed) and is REALLY microsoft's fos version 1.8, what games/apps could we run in such an old dos version?

Emulators running within an emulator tend to run incredibly slow. Basically you have software emulating hardware for a specific machine. This already takes up resources. Trying to have software emulate on top of software would take up way too many resources. Take for instance running emulators on geepee32. They tend to run slow exactly for that reason.

Go to my website, located HERE, and click on movies on the left navbar. The movie is about 8 mb. Im not sure but all i see is a A:> or something with the cursor blinking so im no sure if thats just msx or dos beause ive never use an msx before. Hope this helps.

P.S. The download might be slow because im using my home server and i live in florida.

MSX has MS-DOS but PC programs won't work with it.

Makenai posted on May 29 2003 said:
Rico posted on May 29 2003 said:
A DOSBox port is gradually being hacked on.
You have to tell us more! :)
Ditto

a GP32 with a Dos EMU would be the sweetest thing mine eyes have ever seen....

Last edited by a moderator:
Rigor Mortis posted on May 29 2003 said:
Makenai posted on May 29 2003 said:
Rico posted on May 29 2003 said:
A DOSBox port is gradually being hacked on.
You have to tell us more! :)
Ditto

a GP32 with a Dos EMU would be the sweetest thing mine eyes have ever seen....
Agreed! Especially is SWOS worked on it...

Last edited by a moderator:
Some say ST or amiga; I say they're a (close) second to x86 - but personal opinion there... If there is a DOSbox port already in progress, any ideas on how far its got - or is it still (as I thought) in the "its a great idea, but no-one's come forward to do it" stage?

Very much want to play a few sweetish classics - specifically Keen, Cosmo, Jazz Jackrabbit (hopefully) and Tyrian (equally hopefully - that'd need a decent CPU speed being emud though, so might be less likely).

And stuff like Hocus Pocus and Warcraft 1 go without saying... so many good games for DOS. Pity we'll prolly only end up with an emu that effectively gives us 10MHz, but we can hope for a bit more (ideally 15 or 33, I'd hope for, but that is asking quite a lot)

It's a matter of time. I am one of several ppl looking through the source to dosbox - the SDL calls have to be replaced with GP32 calls, and then it will effectively work (some other hacks like removing mouse support / toggle mouse and keyboard / virtual keyboard). However how fast is anyone's guess.

DOSBox isn't that fast an emulator, in addition the port will be all C++, finally the ARM is a RISC processor that has to emulate CISC (x86) instructions. Don't expect much. ASM conversion, however, will help a lot, and perhaps frameskip.

Just a matter of time, after the exams as I have said before I will probably take it on, I have already looked into coding one from scratch - but it would be stupid doing something that has already been done before with DOSBox.

- Rico

Would you be able to play games such as red alert and command and conquer or would that be too much for the GP32 to handle?

hmm i think this games are protected mode... and only real mode software works on dosbox, there are only two dos emus which can do this, its dosemu for and i think bochs. But dosemu isnt really a x86 emu... it requiers a x86 cpu and linux and bochs... bochs is a full x86, you could install every kind of x86 system on it, but its very very slow...

So...
games like duke3d or other newer games like rayman, gta3 wont work.
Bye

Back