Video Encoding

Big_bazza99

Still Fresh
What is the best video encoding format for the GP2X, particularly interested in bitrates and codecs etc.

Thanks

What is the best video encoding format for the GP2X, particularly interested in bitrates and codecs etc.

Thanks

I've had the best luck using DivX 5. I use AutoGK. ENcode at 320 resolution and 100% quality. This will only do a one pass encode, but the quality is fine for the GP2X. You can find a ton of codecs here (including DivX 5): Gordian Knot Codec Pack

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had the best luck using DivX 5. I use AutoGK. ENcode at 320 resolution and 100% quality. This will only do a one pass encode, but the quality is fine for the GP2X. You can find a ton of codecs here (including DivX 5): Gordian Knot Codec Pack

Where do you get the selection to select the revolution? and the quality?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I ma new to encoding and am only doing it as my GP2x will be sitting unbder a tree soon and I want to get some films right!!

I have now got the new codec pack that you refer to. I have converted some before but they came out rather small size, I couldnt find an option to change the screen size.

Thanx in advance for any help.

:unsure:

In autoGK, you go to "advanced settings" and choose "fixed width" and set it to 320. For quality, look under "step 3" and select "target quality (in percentage):" and then switch it to whatever quality you would like.

To anyone with their gp2x:
How well does xvid work? I read that there were problems with it, but is it still playable? I'm asking because i've already encoded many gigabites of movies, tv shows, and anime into xvid in preparation for my gp2x arriving and it would suck to have to reencode it.

In autoGK, you go to "advanced settings" and choose "fixed width" and set it to 320. For quality, look under "step 3" and select "target quality (in percentage):" and then switch it to whatever quality you would like.

To anyone with their gp2x:
How well does xvid work? I read that there were problems with it, but is it still playable? I'm asking because i've already encoded many gigabites of movies, tv shows, and anime into xvid in preparation for my gp2x arriving and it would suck to have to reencode it.

I've only tried one XviD video. The video stream played faster than the sound. I've heard through third parties (numerous threads on this board) that XviD is broken and may be fixed in upcoming firmware (no date given). I have not seen anything official on the Gamepark English site. They should really update now that GBAx has shipped their first batch. Anyways, make of this what you will. There may be a firmware with working XviD come the time you open your box.

Last edited by a moderator:
well, while not great news, i could watch some of my stuff and just take out the sound as much of it has subtitles.

Back