Mounting A Cd Or Dvd Image?

Mistabeen

Still Fresh
Website
openhandhelds.com
I don't know allot about linux (I only ran ubuntu for a few months, so that should say enough ^^) so therefore this question.
Will it (most likely) be possible to mount a CD or DVD image on the pandora? Seeing as the pandora doesn't have a Drive to read them.

Im sure its possible. I believe there was a mounter for ISO for linux, but nothing nearly as good as Daemon Tools for Windows.

"mount -o loop -t iso9660 file.iso /mnt/test" (I can never remember options so this is a quick copy and paste)

Theres virtually no limit to the number of isos you can mount on linux compared to windows.
You dont need to worry about the copy protection of newer pc games because you cant play them anyway :p

I'm mostly interested in this to mount DVD movies ^^
This way I can backup DVD's as DVD images and keep them on a HDD, easier to browse your DVD collection then ^^

Oh, it's definitely possible. Hell, it's theoretically possible to take a USB disc drive and have the Pandora mount it.

The issue comes more down to power(both electrical and processing) to DO anything with that, and motivation.

In fact it would most likely be fast enough to mount a HDDVD or Blueray iso and play THAT ;) (Not that it would make sense with the 800x480 screen or the SD-TV out).

Julius said:
In fact it would most likely be fast enough to mount a HDDVD or Blueray iso and play THAT ;) (Not that it would make sense with the 800x480 screen or the SD-TV out).
That reminds me, is there any chance of progressive-scan TV-out?

Last edited by a moderator:
Given that many new DVDs take up about 8gb, would it not be better to convert them first so you can get more onto your sd cards?

As I said before :) this would be to keep the ISO's on an external HDD

sure you can get more movies on one drive or sdcard, but there is more to a DVD then just the movie ^^

Mistabeen said:

sure you can get more movies on one drive or sdcard, but there is more to a DVD then just the movie ^^

LOL. Surely nobody actually wastes time with those 'bonus features', do they?

Mistabeen said:

Sorry. I also keep assuming that people will want the Pandora to be totally portable, at least some of the time. For example if I were going on a long journey, long enough to watch 2 dvds say, I would want to convert a selection from the hdd you mention, put them on a card. Then I can travel light and conserve power so that I can actually watch the movies. I would need enough to cover the return journey etc. I am probably also biased because I hardly ever use the 'bonus' features.

yalborap said:
Julius said:
That reminds me, is there any chance of progressive-scan TV-out?

Sorry no. The OMAP only supports s-video outputs.

TaG said:
Given that many new DVDs take up about 8gb, would it not be better to convert them first so you can get more onto your sd cards?
What if he is browsing his media or file server over Wifi? Or a USB2 terabyte HDD?

I know I will want to use the BeagleBoard and a big hard drive stuffed into an old DVD player with a Gigabit ethernet if I can ;)

Heyho,

you neednt even mount an iso to play it with VLC, just playback the iso direktly like "vlc dvd:///folder/name.iso" (edit: huh, damn, theoddbot was faster, i didnt recognise, sry)

its great to read, that the device could playback bluray, so i could convert my videos to h264 which has a great compression.

wow, i didn't know cdemu, looks interessting, i will have a look in it, thanks a lot.

greets
Simon

mrsnature said:
LOL. Surely nobody actually wastes time with those 'bonus features', do they?
It's very fun to watch the video with the commentary (depending on how well the commentary was done). If you think this is crazy, remember that videos are for entertainment, and I find commentary entertaining. :)

Remember, all we've seen for HD Video on the OMAP is 720p. (MPEG4, DivX, WMV, h.264)

A 1080p Blu-Ray movie may not play depending on the codec (some are in MPEG2, and I'm sure those would play due to the light codec).

Linux has mounting functionality built right into the os.

You can just mount the iso image as a loopback device and viola, instant virtual drive.

Sam

Back