More More Issues: Ubuntu Fiesty

sam fisher

Website
blog.peter-r.co.uk
My PC has never liked any linux. Fiesty was the first boot disk that would ever run. Then I installed it. That all went fine. Starting up, the status bar gets 9/10 of the way there. Then it freezes for a bit. Then I see terminal output saying that the "gnome-settings daemon has timed out". This stops me from logging in as when I do 50% of the time I get an error dialog, the other 50% i just get a blue box and it hangs. The error just tells me exactly what the terminal did.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Wipe your hdd and start again.

If so, see if you can downgrade, the latest version may be incompatible.

Hmm, my wifi comes on on boot. Take it out.

Curious, what are the specs of your PC? I've inherited an older machine, and wish to install ubuntu on it - though I don't know if it can handle GNOME.

nemt said:
Curious, what are the specs of your PC? I've inherited an older machine, and wish to install ubuntu on it - though I don't know if it can handle GNOME.
Downloading & running the live cd to test it will be your best bet. h are that it will run well enough though.
If it's a really old computer then try Xubuntu. This is improving fast, runs perfect on slower hardware & offers a lot for very little resources :)

Last edited by a moderator:
nemt said:
P3 600mhz that dieing hopelessly lol

I have an update on my problem, booting without the wifi stick works, but as soon as I plug it in, it crashes :( How can I use Wifi :(

purple_goat said:
err, I can't even install feisty :(
even tho it worked on another computer (older)
says I/O error , something about a logical block..
That sounds like a dirty CD to me.

Try cleaning it and your cd-lens

sam fisher said:
nemt said:
P3 600mhz that dieing hopelessly lol

I have an update on my problem, booting without the wifi stick works, but as soon as I plug it in, it crashes :( How can I use Wifi :(

You will definitely have trouble installing from the Live CD if you have 256MB RAM or less. The alternate CD is recommended if you do.

As for your WiFi problem, what make is your stick?

Back