More More Issues: Ubuntu Fiesty

This PC has loads of RAM. I used the alternate installer, and now it boots but the wifi wont connect to my network, or if it does some keyring thing pops up and it freezes.

Edit: Belkin stick - i can get it to work on the live CD

sam fisher said:
This PC has loads of RAM. I used the alternate installer, and now it boots but the wifi wont connect to my network, or if it does some keyring thing pops up and it freezes.

Lawl, ever heard of ndiswrapper?

Last edited by a moderator:
nickspoon said:
Connect it, type 'lsusb', 'iwconfig' and 'ifconfig' into a terminal, then paste the results here.
If I connect to my network the PC freezes entirely.

Nova said:
sam fisher said:

Lawl, ever heard of ndiswrapper?

I dont need to rewrap the windows drivers. My wifi stick DOES work.

I see two things in network though one is "wmaster0" and the other "1lan0" or something like that.

sam fisher said:
so should I leave wmaster left to "roaming" ?
Your choice as I don't know how you have your network setup :(
I'd assign them both static ip's if I was you & use OpenDNS for your name server.
If you use encryption on your router (if your using a router?) then disable it until your comp stops hanging. You can always enable it again later. Sounds like your using encryption, otherwise you wouldn't get asked for the keyring password :)

sam fisher said:
nickspoon said:
Connect it, type 'lsusb', 'iwconfig' and 'ifconfig' into a terminal, then paste the results here.
If I connect to my network the PC freezes entirely.

Copy a text file to a USB stick then?

Also it might be wise to "sudo killall NetworkManager" (capitals are important here) because that could cause problems.

I see now why everyone recommends Linux over Windows :lol:

nickspoon said:
TelcoLou said:
Believe me, most people never have such problems :)

I did. Many times. So I installed win98se.

Nova said:
nickspoon said:
TelcoLou said:
Believe me, most people never have such problems :)

Every computer I've ever installed Ubuntu on (that's six or seven) has never had any problems that stopped me from running it. This leads me to conclude that you're all incredibly unlucky.

I only had one problem with installing, that required a fully wiped hdd. However, the main problems spanned from trying to get my hardware to all work...

Nova said:
I only had one problem with installing, that required a fully wiped hdd. However, the main problems spanned from trying to get my hardware to all work...
Apart from wireless support and one slightly dodgy mouse (works fine, just doesn't register all the buttons) again, no problems. :)

Nova said:
I did too, but decided to do something about it. I set up a web site to help myself & others instead of quitting :p

Although Linux supports a lot of hardware from a fresh install, you still might need to do a bit of messing about to get certain stuff working. This will improve in the future, especially when the Linux WiFi stack is released & more hardware companies like Dell start to support it.
The fact is though that 9 times out of 10 you can install Linux with no problems what so ever & not even have to manually download a driver or software for it.

Back