Moonlight on Pyra

NiGame

Been using this software on my Android tablet and thinking it would be great to steam my PC games to my pyra with the built in controls.
The Moonlight project is quite good and have versions for Raspberry Pi etc
If someone would be willing to port this it would be awesome.

sorry for lazy/n00b question but does moonlight just capture screen or window and convert it to a video stream? Will it work with non-steam games?

[EDIT] From ze wiki:
What it does This app streams games from a GameStream-compatible PC on your local network or the Internet.

So. ... GameStream can stream any app?

This seems to be windows only... https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/803993/gamestream-on-linux/

Last edited:
sorry for lazy/n00b question but does moonlight just capture screen or window and convert it to a video stream? Will it work with non-steam games?
It streams applications/games in general, one of which can be Steam and games launched from Steam.

Last edited:
It streams applications/games in general, one of which can be Steam and games launched from Steam
And if not configured correctly will happily stream your desktop instead of the game you actually want.
I forget how I fixed that.

And if not configured correctly will happily stream your desktop instead of the game you actually want.
I forget how I fixed that.

Which could be quite useful for some applications. Does it create a secure tunnel when doing this?

I've had great experiences with Parsec, lower latency than Steam In-Home Streaming (didn't test Nvidia steaming) on my phone. Also works over the internet.
Unfortunately it's closed source. They have a RPi client, but it also depends on OpenMax, so I guess that wouldn't run on the Pyra, I believe...? Android version may work though (might be tough without hardware decoding).
Also requires Windows 8.1+ as a host.

Still, would be cool to have that as well it can be made possible.

Well for linux:

I found a script for ffmpeg that will screengrab and encode an h264 stream with about 20ms lag. On the player side, it's not easy to get low decoding latency, but mplayer has settings that do a good job of it. This would be good enough for RPGs that don't really need fast timing. It might be possible to write a simple client and server that will stream with ffmpeg and allow control input with x2x or equivalent.

I've been also playing with nomachine / nxserver remote desktop software and it also has new-ish support for video games (streaming). The android client is pretty usable. Sadly not FOSS.

First things first: has the IVA subsystem already been ported to the current kernel?
The processor may have enough power to decode h.264 videos in software, but for enjoyable video streaming performance, hardware decoding is mandatory.

Back