Monkey Island

PAUL103DOGS

Website
Visit site
Hey everyone, i was just wondering if anyone had the same problem as me. when i start Monkey Island 1 on my GP32 it comes up with a questionairre which i can't get past :angry: i have a similar problem on Monkey Island 2. Please Help!!!1 :unsure:

yup, back in the days when floppys could easily be copied they put a wheel device inside the box which you must use to find out the 'answer' to the combination.

if however you owned a copy and have since lost the wheel (as most of us have) you can download cracked versions of Monkey Island which automatically skip that process.

actually it's pretty easy.
you just have to keep L or R pushed and then
try the other buttons to enter a number or anything.
I'm not exactly sure which buttons, but you should figure it
out pretty soon. just keep L or R pushed.

actually I'm pretty lazy myself, but I'm at work and so bored,
that I answer this question :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

greetz
Slider

oh and btw it doensn't matter what numbers you enter.

IT WORKED, nice one!!. But er.. now i can't save. is it possible that i put it in the wrong directory (the GPMM one) or am i missing a file?

Look for the virtual keyboard stuff in the 0.5.1 README and it tells you exactly how to save (and get round copy protection) ;).

All ports of ScummVM disable the copy potection by default so you can just pass them with random keystokes (In this GP32's case by using the virtual keyboard code).

PAUL103DOGS posted on Apr 16 2004 at 01:32 PM said:
YEH! when i try to save it though it comes up with couldnt save to folder/file something or other.
PAUL103DOGS,

What version of ScummVM for the GP32 are you using and is everything normal? (i.e. there is some free space on the SMC, nothing is oddly marked read-only etc.)

Where are your games stored?

The people who I have spoken to about save problems have normaly turned out to have no free space on the SMC or marked the config files read-only by mistake (using a card reader etc.).

Oh, also can you put the exact error you get, it would help LOAD's! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he maybe using the version supplied on the GBAX cd, (there was a known problem with this and Monkey Island 1 because of the 8.3 format). If you use the latest version (I guess from DJWillis's site ;) ) then the problem is no longer there.

lizard808uk,

Spot on, the 3c version of gpScumm fails as it tries to save Monkey Island 1 saves with a 9:3 filename that of course fails on a good old plain 8:3 FAT file system ;).

Looking at his reply I assumed he was using the 0.5.1 version as he implied but if he is using 3c then he would get the error in Monkey Island 1 VGA version.

I put Monkey Island 1 and 2 in a folder called software (dont know if this is a pre installed folder as i bought my GP32 second hand). they are both in seperate folders. Theres about 2 megs left on the card. i already have indiana Jones and Day of the tentacle installed and they work/ save without a problem. I downloaded the SCUMMVM off of this site. the strange thing is when i try to save on the save menu it seems to save but when i continue to play it comes up with this "Failed to save game state to file: gp:/software/MONKEY/monkeyvga.s01". apparently the version i have is the '256 colour floppy version'.
Thanks for all your help.

PAUL103DOGS,

You ARE using a very old version. Grab the 0.5.1 alpha off my site (in sig) and give that a try :D, don't forget to OGG encode you Monkey Island cd audio if you want the soundtrack ;).

Edit: Ooops, just noticed you have the floppy version so you will have MIDI sound.

Paul,

Can you provide a little more info about your GP32, what is the firmware, what are you using to copy files over etc.

Edit: Just checking but you did extract the .rar file and put the scummvm.fxe in gp://gpmm and not just dump the .rar on the GP32.

Right i took all the GPSUMM files off and installed them again into the GPMM directory and now the thing pauses after about 15seconds of loading up a game.

PAUL103DOGS,

Really not quite sure what you are doing but if you get the RAR archive of 0.5.1 from my site, extract out the .FXE and put that on the GP32 (nothing else needed) and give the readme a good read as it shows how to set it up.

If your really stuck getting it running drop me an email as that might be quicker then post after post.

Back