Moblin

Status
Not open for further replies.
WizardStan said:
No one has said anything about Moblin for over a year, and then you suddenly show up and start saying how poor of a choice it would be. What else are people supposed to think?
Loonie said:
Not to mention the exhumation of the fetid, rotting corpse of the aforementioned thread not to even add your opinion, but merely to advertise this thread.
darkborn said:

Oh, sorry, we are living in very different time zones. So, back to the future... or just read before post?
Theme is actual in sight of new changes about Intel/Moblin. I don't want to fright people, but I think that we don't have (at least enough tested) wi-fi driver; I'm sure there are (and will be) enough more important projects to work on it then port fakeware distro. Even if Intel directly pay for it. However, people are easily foolished, so this topic should be here as some kind of warning.
This is not happened just here: Intel is trying hard through mainstream media to show that they are still main in charge - you'll find that Android is almost running on top of Moblin, Moblin greatly cooperate with Ubuntu/Debian and so on: I read somewhere (zdnet or so) that author couldn't find any (!) Arm based smartbook at Computex, but - whole place was full of, naturally, Intel based netbooks instead. What is truth?
"Intel will maintain strong control over Moblin", actively discourage people to port (!) Moblin to AMD, and right now is buying vxWorks - instead to port Moblin to ARM. Where is there interest for Pandora?

Last edited by a moderator:
Moblin is fully open-source.
Moblin has clearly stated that they are developing for the Intel Atom, and will not support ARM devices.

So I'm thinking:
1. Nobody is going to bother porting an x86-specific OS
2. Developers are not "fooled" easily by big business, especially not ones that clearly say "we will not support ARM devices"
3. Unless they are paid, developers will spend their time doing what they like. It is nobody else's business if a developer chooses to compile Moblin for his Pandora somehow.
4. You are only drawing more attention to Moblin by mentioning how much you dislike it. If you hadn't said anything at all, I wouldn't have even remembered that it existed.

So just... stop. Let this thread die again.

darkborn said:
WizardStan said:
No one has said anything about Moblin for over a year, and then you suddenly show up and start saying how poor of a choice it would be. What else are people supposed to think?
Loonie said:
Not to mention the exhumation of the fetid, rotting corpse of the aforementioned thread not to even add your opinion, but merely to advertise this thread.
darkborn said:

Oh, sorry, we are living in very different time zones. So, back to the future... or just read before post?
Oops, confused 2009 and 2008. Mistakes happen. It was still over a month old and long forgotten. Point is that it wasn't a consideration and was easily ignored until you brought up the subject again. By saying "Hey! Don't look over there!" you made everyone look "over there", if you get the meaning.

RickAstoria said:
lock it... perhaps.

Hey good one Rick, lets bump the topic again for funsies when it was finally going down there. :)
Also, there's no reason to lock the topic... just because that argument is finished doesn't mean there is nothing to ever be said about Moblin again, so that's just a silly idea.

Slashdot says that Moblin 2.0 will run X server as user instead of root. Sounds kinda cool.
Hopefully they'll make sure that's open-source, and it will trickle into the other distros somehow.

RickAstoria said:
lock it... perhaps.

Locking should onky happen when people are abusing a thread. (Flame wars, etc.) darkborn is right, RIP is the way to go.

-God Ginrai

Forget it, this thread will never die. It is... undead. It is the zombie thread. It's staggering around the BB muttering "brains... braaaiiiiins...".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back