Mobile Usb For Gp2x

firefly2442

Website
www.rivetcode.com
Well, after a long, long time, I was able to finish adding on USB functionality to my GP2X. I wanted it to be mobile and I originally bought the Samsung E810 cable online and tried to modify that. Well, that turned out to be a big failure. So I bought a premade cable from Artaylor. In order to make it work with my battery powered USB hub, I had to open up the connector and modify it a little so it would use an external 5 volt supply. With some help I was able to use a regulator and down-convert a 9-volt battery to straight 5-volts for USB. I stuck all this in a small plastic enclosure I got at RadioShack and Viola! it works.

I would like to thank Nubie, all the people who add stuff to the Wiki, Artaylor, and the people on IRC who didn't laugh at me very much when I asked really n00bie questions. ;)

usb015.jpg

usb014.jpg

usb012.jpg

usb011.jpg

I'm still trying to put mine together but I fried my bloody usb hub and it was perfect size as well (same size of battery cover) and I haven't been able to source a better one yet sigh.

firefly2442 said:
Well, after a long, long time, I was able to finish adding on USB functionality to my GP2X. I wanted it to be mobile and I originally bought the Samsung E810 cable online and tried to modify that. Well, that turned out to be a big failure. So I bought a premade cable from Artaylor. In order to make it work with my battery powered USB hub, I had to open up the connector and modify it a little so it would use an external 5 volt supply. With some help I was able to use a regulator and down-convert a 9-volt battery to straight 5-volts for USB. I stuck all this in a small plastic enclosure I got at RadioShack and Viola! it works.
Why didn't you steal 5 volts from the battery powered hub itself to activate the "sense" circuit and make it start using the batteries?

That is what I would try to do.

I would like to thank Nubie, all the people who add stuff to the Wiki, Artaylor, and the people on IRC who didn't laugh at me very much when I asked really n00bie questions. ;)

You're welcome here :D

Vimacs said:
Doesn't look that mobile to me :)

You aren't kidding, I thought it was an internal mod when I saw the topic title :lol: :lol:

Speaking of which, if I did an internal mod on mine, how much could I sell it for? It is a v1.1, so I would put 4 AAA batteries on the back to power it. Upside is that it will power a lot more that way :).

Last edited by a moderator:
@Nubie-

Yeah, I didn't want to open up the hub and mess around with it. I would like to use the hub for other things besides the GP2X so I didn't want to change it. Certainly, that would have been a better solution though.

firefly2442 said:
@nubie-

Yeah, I didn't want to open up the hub and mess around with it. I would like to use the hub for other things besides the GP2X so I didn't want to change it. Certainly, that would have been a better solution though.
You can tap the battery terminals without damage, or even opening it. And since it would have been a pretty simple circuit it would only need a switch.

Where did you source the Cyberpower anyway? Was it expensive?

nubie said:
You can tap the battery terminals without damage, or even opening it. And since it would have been a pretty simple circuit it would only need a switch.

You could make a cable with a usb plug instead of the 9V battery block. Plug it into a port of your hub and you have 5V without modifying the hub at all. ;)

Well, I was getting help from someone and he accidentally soldered some wires together that he shouldn't have. I tried desperately to desolder them but I couldn't fix it.

Back