Milktracker V0.90.50 Released.

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
pailes ported vv0.90.50 of the tracker Milkytracker to the gp2x.

milkytr.jpg

Milkytracker is a free music creation tool inspired on Fast Tracker 2 (a popular MS-DOS tracker for the PC)

Download: Milkytracker v0.90.50
Homepage: http://www.milkytracker.net/

Danke an eAnic für die News.

Amazing how much can fit on a 3.5" screen when the layout is right.
Very cool, I'm gonna try this right now!

"SunSpire"

I wonder, is it possible to save any music you make with this as a .mod or .it?

- Alex

It wasn't pailes who ported it... it was deltafire (who doesn't own a gp2x but does the linux port of milkytracker)... This port is a result of a funny coincedence... deltafire compiled a arm-linux milkytracker for the zaurus i think (he doesn't own a zaurus too :D ) and because it was just a dynamically linked arm-linux binary i tried to run it on the gp2x and it worked (after tweaking the config with deltafires help to get a right sound buffer size that won't result in a segfault) but there was no way to get input into it. so deltafire and i did a few rounds of recompile/feedback and he got emulated mouse working... he wanted a complete list of usefull shortcuts for the gp2x but i was too lazy and forgot about it but somebody else did it now.... So this is the story behind this port... well i guess no one cares..... ;)

EDIT: Yeah you can save as .xm and .mod as this is kind of fast tracker II clony... you can load .it but it will get converted to .xm which has different features so it will sound different...

Been playing around with it for a couple of hours now (I should be in bed and sleep! lol) and I absolutely love it!! This is a must have for any tracker fan with a '2X out there. Now if there would also be a way to connect a mini-usb keyboard for the sound editing part, that would totally rock!! It works fairly well with the mouse emulation already, but of course it's harder than if you had a keyboard.

Stereo Samples don't seem to be supported, at least when I tried they played in Mono only (I use modplug tracker and renoise and am not very familiar with milky yet). Also my large PC .xm projects (they vary between 30 and several hundred MB's) can't be loaded into milkytracker, it crashes during the process which I think has to do with the limited RAM availability of the '2X. But that's fine with me, I am more than happy with what the program has to offer for portable composing ... awesome awesome!! :)

"SunSpire"

Hmm... Can't run it. I've made a gpu-script as docs say, but got only a black screen for a few seconds. Tryed start it from SD and NAND as well. Any ideas?

UPDATE: problem solved. I should guess to rename milkytracker.linux-arm_gp2x file to milkytracker. Very funny and user friendly.

It's a very cool proggy! I was a protracker lover on amiga side, so I'm very happy with this piece of software :)
I have a little problem, when I try to exit from the tracker my gp2x will hang on a black screen.. Any suggestion? Have I to do a script to solve the prob?

FAST EDIT:

I solved the hang prob by making a little script :D

I started viewing some video tutorials on tracking with milkytracker. Unfortunately, when I go to sample editor > new, I can't use the mouse to drag the wave line up and down etc, and help?

- Alex

Edit: Pfft, excuse my blindness, there's a "draw" button :lol:

it's hard to imagine a tracker written for use with a keyboard/mouse to be very intuitive to use on a gamepad based device.

johan kotlinski has put years into developing his gameboy tracker called littleSoundDj which makes very good use of the controls availible there ... it of course is for editing the gameboy sound chip, and there are no emulators for gp2x which do a good enough job to emulate the original hardware to make littleSoundDj useful to us.

however, using an interface very similar to the one johan developed, n0stromo is writing a .wav tracker for the gp2x/gp32/windows ... it's called littleGpTracker. although beta/alpha it's already in a usable state. i'm working on a quick start guide to get people up to speed on the tracker, if they've never touched one before.

anyway, excelent to see any music software developing, and people interested in it :)

Man I kept playing with this the whole morning, it's amazing, it just gave me a taste for tracking. Thank you thank you thank you! :)

- Alex

I tried littlegptracker before but this one is soo much better. While it's true that the actual "tracking" is hard with a gamepad device, it's not as difficult as I imagined it in the first place and I'm also hoping that in the future a mini-keyboard support via USB might be possible, you never know :)

It's a nice alternative to oldplay too as it plays .xm files flawlessly as long as they don't exceed 32 samples

"SunSpire"

Listen to my first track ever: First Steps (.xm file) :lol:

This software is great, not to mention loads of fun to use, you can bet I'll make my own game music from now on.

- Alex

Get Dots Rising.xm, my second track. Man this is too much fun :) We should have tracking tennis right here on the boards!

- Alex

Edit: new and improved version (read: simpler), listen now :)

Well the provided "sample" script doesn't work for me, and I didn't take the time to get it running. Just rename milkytracker.linux-arm_gp2x to milkytracker.gpe, and run it from the Games menu.

- Alex

Alex. posted on Aug 30 2006 at 07:24 PM said:
Well the provided "sample" script doesn't work for me, and I didn't take the time to get it running. Just rename milkytracker.linux-arm_gp2x to milkytracker.gpe, and run it from the Games menu.

- Alex
Yeah I ended up doing that, Thanks.. Still not sure why the script wouldn't work though :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason why the script doesn't work out of the box is because the program file's name doesn't match the one from the script, just rename "milkytracker.linux-arm_gp2x" to "milkytracker" WITHOUT any extension, now create a new textfile and copy / paste the script part of the readme into it and save it as milkytracker.gpe (or .gpu) then put it in the same folder as the program file and put everything on your SD and run the .gpe or .gpu from either the games or utilities menu. This way milkytracker will not crash when you click exit!

Hmm, I was thinking about organizing a tracker contest soon maybe once the tracker scene has evolved a bit more on the '2X. I am not quite sure yet how to observe it tho as people obviously wouldn't be allowed to submit tracks composed on any other platform than the '2X, where would be the point? :lol:

If you have interest in such a thing or any good ideas for it shoot me a message! ;)

"SunSpire"

PS: Welldone Alex. ! :p

Back