Midi files??

mrdremel

Website
Visit site
I have the codec pack installed, but when I try to play a mid (midi) file, Mplayer just doesn't play and VLC is stating that there is no supported codec installed.

Is the Pandora even capable of playing midi files? I have a game lined up, which plays oldskool midi files in the game. Would be a bummer if it didn't work.

Last edited by a moderator:
MIDI needs a lot of space for the instruments on the NAND (about 20MB), that's why it's not included in the OS.

An app is the best thing for that, yes.

afaik MP3 is also not supported by the basic OS. Don't you have to install the codec pack to make it work?

No, not MP3! Use Ogg Vorbis instead. Vorbis has a higher quality to size ratio, and it's free for commercial and non-commercial use. Quite frankly, it baffles me why anyone would want to use MP3 for audio.

Quite frankly, it baffles me why anyone would want to use MP3 for audio.
One reason would be if you have a codec for MP3 which runs in the DSP, while your Ogg Vorbis codec runs only in the CPU. The load and battery consumption difference is quite significant. That's why I don't run Ogg Vorbis on my N800, it's simply unfeasible due to battery life and CPU load, except for testing.

Technically, the OS doesn't have anything to do with any of this.

There are codecs for Ogg Vorbis, MP3, FLAC, WAV, but MIDI uses a synthesizer which requires some extra data for the wavetable.

Stop confusing OS and programs. It makes me sad. :(

Edit: If we could get a DSP-accelerated codec for Ogg Vorbis like Tremor, it would be so amazing.

Back