Microsoft XBOX Series X

Lockhart may actually end up becoming the first permanent console. It boggles me that the video game industry has to shoot itself in the foot every seven years by discontinuing popular products.
What do you mean by "Permanent Console"?
I mean one that they keep producing. There have been reasons in the past why something like the Wii couldn't just go on forever. If Lockhart is successful though, I don't see it dying until x64 or HDMI die. It has no need to be upgraded, because that's what Series X is for. It's just supposed to be what it already is.

I mean, if Wii had an x64 architecture and HDMI support, we'd probably still be playing that thing today. It hit the market before all our tech got finalized. Lockhart, assuming it has an SSD, has all the pieces to stick around.

Well, successors are made for the sake of money and fans wanting something new and shiny to buy. Most people want new tech to show off.

Last edited:
I mean, if Wii had an x64 architecture and HDMI support, we'd probably still be playing that thing today.
What are you talking about? I am still playing my Wii, and (on rare occasions) my C64!

@Nintendo is correct, new consoles will always be released, just like how every 2 months there's an upgrade to your smart phone, even though it does absolutely nothing different to the last.

Besides, technology is always changing, just how x86 got cpu extensions like mmx and sse. They keep backward support, but still advance forward

"Permanent" often boils down to ongoing support or hackability. I suspect MS only motivation is increased traction in the market - they want to be able to claim to have both "the most powerful console" and "the most affordable console". To me it reeks of a marketing tactic rather than any kind of innovation - isn't it basically a PC? But then again, I'm biased.
Post automatically merged:

Most people want new tech to show off.

I like showing off my Amiga... unfortunately most people (in the off-line) world are completely disinterested :(

Hmmm, no-one's posted about Xbox Series X since before my hospitalization in July and August.

We have a price and a date now, plus confirmation of the budget-friendly Xbox Series S. It's a two hundred dollar discount on next gen, and the only catch is you don't have to upgrade your TV. Microsoft might've just broken gaming.

The Series S also lacks a disc drive, so it's digital only, yet for some reason comes with less disc space (and a smaller GPU but that's probably okay provided you're not going to be output to a 4K TV)

Major news: MS has just acquired Zenimax / Bethesda!
So, Elder Scroll 6 now Xbox exclusive and included day one in Gamepass o_O
And all first party MS games releases on Windows day one. I think I'll get Gamepass for PC :cool:
120$ a year is the price of 2x 60$ games per year, good deal in my opinion.
I think Windows will be the winner platform for gen 9. Steam getting huge support from 3rd parties - including EA and Sony, Epic Store with its crazy deals, MS store with Xbox games and gamepass etc.

MS has just acquired Zenimax / Bethesda!

I'm not sure if this is a good or a bad news... the last games I played were Skyrim and Fallout 3, and I saw a decreasing quality in storytelling games after games... I mean, the Halo serie is way better in that, even if it's "just" a shooter...

The FTC is suing to block Microsoft’s acquisition of Activision Blizzard.

What I really want to see them do is go back and undo all the mergers they approved under Trump, like Fox/Disney, Microsoft/Bethesda, and Sprint/T-Mobile. Heck, let’s see if they can split Activision and Blizzard.

You know, one person I saw said that since the FTC is suing in their own court instead of federal court, they’re likely looking to allow the deal to go through, but with some concessions.

Let’s face it, OmniCorp is our destiny.

Well, at first it was just the government suing Microsoft. Now it’s personal.

I have my Series X a bit under the Roof Window in my PC/Gaming Room, i wonder what would happen when it gets dust or leavs in the Air Vents on Top, ..
And i still wonder what would happen when you put in a Disk the wrong way around in, if i remember correctly, the only whay to tell the oriantation of the disks are the rubber feed on the Side of the Console..
Im a bit anoyed that the OS looks still the same as on the XBOX One..

Im a bit anoyed that the OS looks still the same as on the XBOX One..
Why, most people don't like change that much. I guess it makes the Series-X feel like an upgrade instead of a new generation.
The Xbox 360 change the GUI while I owned it, not sure if I prefer this above a stable GUI.

I have my Series X a bit under the Roof Window in my PC/Gaming Room, i wonder what would happen when it gets dust or leaves in the Air Vents on Top, ..
If for some reason the exhaust is blocked and the Xbox gets too warm it will show a message, if really too hot it will automatically shut off.

And i still wonder what would happen when you put in a Disk the wrong way around in, if i remember correctly, the only whay to tell the oriantation of the disks are the rubber feed on the Side of the Console..
Nothing really happens if you put the disk up-side-down.
A video what happens on the Xbox One (not series-X):

Back