microSDXC, SDXC, and mixed configurations

Which of the following storage configurations would you rather have in the Pandora 2? Choose as man

• 64GB of on board NAND and no card slots.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • 4GB of on board NAND and two front facing full sized SD card slots.

Votes: 41 55.4%
  • No NAND, one internal microSDXC, one external microSDXC.

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • No NAND, one internal microSDXC, two external microSDXC.

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • No NAND, no internal card slot, two external microSDXC.

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • No NAND, one internal microSDXC, two external SDXC.

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No NAND, one internal microSDXC, one external SDXC.

• No NAND, one internal SDXC, two external SDXC.

Votes: 25 33.8%
  • No NAND, one internal SDXC, one external SDXC.

Votes: 14 18.9%
  • No NAND, no internal card slot, two external SDXC.

• No NAND, no internal card slot, one external microSDXC, one external SDXC.

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • Thank you, but polls are for the birds and I don't care about the topic.

Votes: 6 8.1%

• Total voters

Much of the rest of discussion has been around understanding what the use scenario is that one internal microSD and two exposed SD slots can handle that can not be equally done on a machine with one internal SDXC slot and one external SDXC slot.
I recently had an experience where the ability to read from two external cards that didn't have any of the OS stuff on them was very handy. My brother had a surprise wedding while we were visiting for other reasons. I was able to transfer pictures back and forth from the two main cameras that happened to be there (one from each family) so we all had a complete record of the event. Since it was a surprise no one had brought a computer and I didn't have enough space on my pandora cards to play the transfer from camera card 1 to pandora, swap cards, transfer to card 2, delete from pandora, copy from card 2, swap cards, transfer to card 1 game.

Not claiming this one example is reason to have the same setup for P2, but even when I didn't have a use case in mind, one presented itself.

TL/DR: Anytime you want to transfer data between two non main/OS cards.

Very good example. Thank you jasay.

I have done something very similar myself - while still booting from my left card slot. However, having a 128GB card with an open 100GB 'data' partition as my 'boot card' isn't something everyone is going to be set up for. So, it is possible to still do that with only two storage devices on the unit.

Still, not everyone is going to pop for a ginormous card as their OS,/swap,persistent data card.

You have presented a perfect case for an exposed two card system with a 3rd boot device (on board NAND, microSD or full SD).

Were the cameras both 'full sized SD' then? If so, it is also a case for having the exposed slots be 'full size'.

I said earlier that the two external cards are useful for transferring directly between cards and you totally blew me off ~_~

EDIT:

The results so far in this poll have been perpetually misconstrued in other threads, so I felt it necessary to lay out the facts here based upon the current statistics.

You can't sum up the category of each answer and get a fair conclusion. Doing so gives you the conclusion that 80% prefer no NAND, even though a majority (33 votes out of 63 members casting) found NAND + 2 SD acceptable. Only one person has even attempted to rationalize this absurdity.

You really can't generalize on the poll at all that I can see because it's so complex and each voter cast a variable number of votes.

You CAN say what the poll says, which is:

1st most acceptable configuration:

No NAND, one internal microSDXC, two external SDXC.

2nd most acceptable configuration:

4GB of on board NAND and two front facing full sized SD card slots.

3rd most acceptable configuration:

No NAND, one internal SDXC, two external SDXC.

Do take note that the percentages listed in the poll results above are out of the total votes cast, NOT the total number of voters as proclaimed by one erroneous person. The total number of voters is given at the top of the poll; use this if you want the percentage of voters that chose a particular option.

So the 1st and 2nd places got a majority of voters to choose them (39 and 33, respectively, out of 63 members who cast votes at this time), but neither 3rd place nor any other configuration got a majority.

It's tempting to look at the three winners and think, "Gee, they all have 2 SD slots", but keep in mind the fact that a majority found the 3rd option unacceptable. So you can't say that users find 2 SD slot configurations most acceptable in general.

In fact you don't even know if the two winning configurations have many common voters at all! It might be that twenty-some voters like 1 and another twenty-some like 2, with only a few people liking both 1 and 2 to give them both a majority. If someone likes 1 but not 2 or vice versa, then it's objectively absurd to suggest that person will go with anything with 2 SD slots.

Sorry for being a pedant and all, but math matters folks. If you convince yourself that 1 + 1 = 3, well then 0 = 1, and 6 = 9, and all other kinds of nonsense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back