microSDXC, SDXC, and mixed configurations

Which of the following storage configurations would you rather have in the Pandora 2? Choose as man

• 64GB of on board NAND and no card slots.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • 4GB of on board NAND and two front facing full sized SD card slots.

Votes: 41 55.4%
  • No NAND, one internal microSDXC, one external microSDXC.

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • No NAND, one internal microSDXC, two external microSDXC.

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • No NAND, no internal card slot, two external microSDXC.

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • No NAND, one internal microSDXC, two external SDXC.

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No NAND, one internal microSDXC, one external SDXC.

• No NAND, one internal SDXC, two external SDXC.

Votes: 25 33.8%
  • No NAND, one internal SDXC, one external SDXC.

Votes: 14 18.9%
  • No NAND, no internal card slot, two external SDXC.

• No NAND, no internal card slot, one external microSDXC, one external SDXC.

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • Thank you, but polls are for the birds and I don't care about the topic.

Votes: 6 8.1%

• Total voters

Grench

Forum Addict!
There are several discussion threads already where the merits of different configurations of storage are being discussed for the P2. Lets leave those discussions there.

If you want to comment on the legitimacy or methodology in this poll, that is appropriate here.

I will try to construct this as impartially as I possibly can.

If I left out a configuration that you would prefer, please note it in the replies to this thread.

Thank you.

IMO, NAND should be small - we're only going to realistically be using it for the OS rather than general purpose storage so I would prefer just 4GB for the OS and then 2 SD slots as per the current Pandora.

D.

Since this is still theoretical, what about other memory card standards like CompactFlash or XQD, which would both be faster than SDXC speeds and also expose a more versatile bus for other non memory-related IO? Well, aside from them not being as common as SD I suppose.

everything is acceptable for me but I'd go with no NAND, one internal microSD and two SD slots on the outside.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is no NAND even an option? I thought most of these chips are all-inclusive packages.

I think it should have at least two SDXC slots of which at least one is an external full-sized one.

Larger NAND is nice, but not a must.

As I understand it (and Exophase will correct me if I'm wrong) you don't actually need the NAND to be on the PoP; until recently it was simply cheaper and faster, but with the way SD cards have gone that's not necessarily the case anymore. By removing the NAND, you free up a lot of pins, some (but not all) of which can be multiplexed into GPIO or other specific use lines: by removing the NAND and switching to an SD card, there's a good chance we'll actually gain functionality. To be fair, it'll be functionality like more GPIO lines and no one has fully explored uses for the ones we've already got, so throwing more into the mix might not actually be beneficial.

That makes sense. If a useful application can be found for those extra GPIO lines then I'm all for it.

The trade off, of course, is that you need space to install even a microSD card. Removing the NAND on the premise of having more GPIO lines and then not actually using those GPIOs could just lead to wasted space. I'm sure MWeston will figure it all out when the time comes.

32GB NAND, internal microSDXC, external full SDXC

I already have 96GB on 2 cards in my Pandora. I would like 1 fast SD to fully utilise my 64GB card and keep speeds to a maximum and then 2x micro card slots so I can maximise Storage, speed not being the main factor. No need for NAND in my opinion.

Yes, I feel we should do away with the NAND completely if there is space to install an internal microSD. The argument for having an internal full sized SD is... Well, imo unrealistic. Nice and desirable yes, but can you really imagine there being enough space for a full SD? With the P2 supposedly aiming to be more compact I just can't imagine this will materialize as a viable option.

If there isn't space for an internal microSD, then the NAND should be large enough not to restrict the OS with a bit of room to spare, but should still be kept as small as possible to keep costs as low as possible- the NAND shouldn't be used for storing media.

But of course an internal microSD would be the ideal solution.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

I'm thinking a built-in disk big enough for a command-line only linux for handling the download of a full Os onto a fresh SD card if your old card dies unexpectedly.

Good for recoveries, but not really meant to be used very often.

^ With a microSD, and if it doesn't save us anything by removing the NAND, then a small one for the use case you suggested would also be ideal.

I already have 96GB on 2 cards in my Pandora. I would like 1 fast SD to fully utilise my 64GB card and keep speeds to a maximum and then 2x micro card slots so I can maximise Storage, speed not being the main factor. No need for NAND in my opinion.
Interesting - so your usage scenario would be for an internal full sized SD and two external microSD. I had not considered that option - but it sounds plausible.

I'm thinking a built-in disk big enough for a command-line only linux for handling the download of a full Os onto a fresh SD card if your old card dies unexpectedly.

Good for recoveries, but not really meant to be used very often.
I like that idea - something very basic command line menu driven with the ability to handle network connections (USB-Ethernet as well as on board 802.11 type)that can take the device from cold to operational. Effectively a kick-start NAND?

I think it's important for it to be possible to install GNU/Linux regularly on the Pandora rather than having to use a clunky file like the PND again, so if there is NAND that's used for the OS, it needs to be at least 16 GB, preferably 32 GB or more. But an internal MicroSD slot would be better, and for the other slots, regular SD would be my preference. All MicroSD would be fine, though (1 internal and 2 external), if it allows for more important things to be added.

^ +1

Although I would like to see at least 1 full sized SD external slot if at all possible. I would be a bit disappointed if it *only* had microSD slots, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

Whats wrong with .pnd? It seems ideally suited to removable primary disks.

---

I would like to see at least 1 full sized SD external slot if at all possible
quote++

Back