Metal Gear Solid 5

Nintendo

Nintendo Switch
Kojima never keeps his promises...not that he ever promised that he'd never make a MGS5. :p

29648metalgearsolid5exi.png

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/11/snake-snaaaake-hideo-kojima-will-helm-metal-gear-solid-5/

love the metal gear games this would be a nice treat, cant wait for the 3ds remake to come out aswell so i have a nice handheld metal gear game (other than through emulation on the panda)

They're never going to let Snake retire, are they? There's something to be said about a covert forces group when you've had two generations of recruits and still have to rely on the 60 year old man. Seriously, there isn't a single person in or out of their organization who Snake could train and pass on the mantel of Metal Gear?

its to do with his genes :) isnt he genetically modified or something and also solid snake is his clone or vica verca.

Isn't that Metal Gear Rising? (The I am lightning seems to refer playing as raiden, as the tag line for that is Lightning bolt action or something similar, instead of the Tactical espionage action). Existence was the last disc in MGS3 Subsistence, and I don't think Kojima is producing Rising, just watching over it whilst the younger writers take over.

Last edited by a moderator:
what do you class as 1 and 2?

metal gear for MSX? is that what you class as 1? and metal gear solid for psx and gamecube? is that classed as 2? because they are not numbered at all.

the PSP game is called METAL GEAR SOLID: Peace walker so this also contains the MGS title does that mean it is one of the 1-5 ? I dont get how you are deciding what is classed as a sequal and what isnt?

I had forgot about those, and I did say assumed, even so, numbered titles don't necessarily point out the order , like how Sonic and knuckles came after Sonic 3, then Sonic 3D and half a dozen other titles before Sonic 4 came out, same with Resident Evil 3, followed by Code Veronica, and then 4. MGS5 would actually be like the 8th 'Solid' game or something like that, Portable Ops was there as well as Peace Walker.

This isn't always the case, like with SSX, but it's fairly common.

I adored metal gear solid on the ps1 but the ps2 sequel with crappy raiden was unplayable in my opinion due to ridiculously over long cut scenes with some ranging from 15 mins to 30 plus mins. i never played any further. a friend claims some cut scenes were 45 mins long. Put simply if i want to watch a movie then ill watch a movie. I have no interest in watching telly when i sit down to play a presumably interactive game. The cut scenes in metal gear solid were bordering on too long anyway.I tried to play the sequels put the cut scenes are way too indulgent in their lengths.

there is a metal gear game on PSP you know :p
I actually have all of them on the psp, as i might have mentioned my memorys kinda fuzzy at the best of times and am usually baked when am on the boards. i just completely overlooked them when posting, i dont think ive booted my psp up since i got my panda, i kinda got board of most of my games and just ended up using the emulators on it, and that feature is pretty much redundant now. as much as i do like some modern games they just dont keep me gripped like the oldies.

MGS5 would actually be like the 8th 'Solid' game or something like that,
believe it or not but it would actually be the 26th metal gear game if you included non-canonical releases and remakes (like substance, gost babel and the 2 mobile games etc) and the 3ds game when thats out :D

i was actually well suprised to look back trough the list and see just how many of these i own

Wow i didnt realise it was that many!

I love the metal gear games, although like Kojima himself I never enjoyed the NES version of the original Metal Gear, at one point I even had the physical copy of Ghost Babel as well, wish I had kept that now.

I do agree that the game does want to be a movie in a lot of the cases (MGS4's ending was in the area of an hour long...) and it does break the flow of gameplay, but sometimes it is the over elaborate way things are done, such as the Cyborg Ninja or the titular Metal Gears performing some ridiculous act such as cutting down half a dozen heavily armed soldiers with a sword in your mouth or flying out of the sea to stand on and tower over a sinking tanker, MGS1 I felt set the story better than the previous titles, and the following games cut scenes were far more action packed.

I am looking forward to the HD collection coming soon, get to have a proper play of Peace Walker and using the 2 person cardboard boxes :)

Well, I never played the MSX/NES originals. I got into the mix with MGS1 on the PS1, and I found that to be one of the greatest console games ever made.

Then part 2 came out, and I couldn't finish it. Complete and utter garbage, at least in my opinion.

I have heard good things about part 3 being the best of the series, but I never bothered at the time of release. I'm looking forward to the 3DS redo so I can finally give it a go.

I played part 4 on the PS3, and although it was technically impressive, I found this game to just be a very bloated experiance. Fun at times, but just way to much of this, and not enough of that! I personally rated it about an 7 or 8/10. Nowhere near the as good as it was painted to be at the time.

I never really played any of the Acid series on PSP(strategy card games), but the first "Full" Metal gear game on there was poorly reviewed. I do own Peace Walker, but I have not really played it much, but it shows promise.

I know Kojima and Konami keep releasing these games because they are cash cows, but I just find them to be beating a dead horse at this point.

I would gladly give up MGS 2-5 for a new/remade Snatcher game any day of the week. I have actually completed that game around 4-5 times. The most for any game I have ever played(well, exept for maybe SMB1 on the NES). A really fun, cool, and unique experiance. For those of you who are looking for a creative Kojima game, look no further than the Sega CD classic that is "Snatcher". A true Konami/Kojima Classic!

Chris

kinda off topic here but if you hate the cut sceens did anyone try out the latest final fantasy? i played all of them and enjoyed most of them up to X. So i bought the latest one to see how that stacks up and it litterally has a cut sceen between every 30 seconds to couple of minutes, i couldnt deal with it and gave up after a few hours. think for around 10 mins of gameplay theres an hours worth of cut sceens.

Then part 2 came out, and I couldn't finish it. Complete and utter garbage, at least in my opinion.

I have heard good things about part 3 being the best of the series, but I never bothered at the time of release. I'm looking forward to the 3DS redo so I can finally give it a go.

I played part 4 on the PS3, and although it was technically impressive, I found this game to just be a very bloated experiance. Fun at times, but just way to much of this, and not enough of that! I personally rated it about an 7 or 8/10. Nowhere near the as good as it was painted to be at the time.

I never really played any of the Acid series on PSP(strategy card games), but the first "Full" Metal gear game on there was poorly reviewed. I do own Peace Walker, but I have not really played it much, but it shows promise.

I know Kojima and Konami keep releasing these games because they are cash cows, but I just find them to be beating a dead horse at this point.

you know, i think by missing 3 between 2 and 4, you missed a pretty massive transition in the series. mgs2 wasnt the most amazing game (relative to the others) but it did move things ahead from the first MGS game. i actually found it particularly different playing MGS2 as i had presumed it was released after MGS:Twin Snakes which was the first in the series i played, so it ended up feeling really short and unspectacular. MGS3 really ramps up the cinematic and story telling side of things with much longer cutscenes. if you didn't like that part of MGS4 then you might feel similarly playing it. it is a gratuitous experience but thats just where the games have gone and i think its a good thing. its just hard for snake to tell a story when he is sneaking and kicking peoples asses, and i think the story is a worthy one to stick with.

i cant say the 3DS version is gonna be all that great or worth it though. you can pick up MGS3 super cheap for the PS2 and still get to enjoy all its cinematic greatness!

Back