Meritous Port (Buggy, But Playable)

Hooka

That Guy!
Website
Visit site
Hey everybody, I decided that due to the fact that I really like Meritous and haven't been playing it due to being so obsessed with my Pandora I've been slightly shunning my Wiz lately... So I made a quick port!

The good news is, I managed to get it fairly playable, the bad news is I had to cut back the sound channels to get it playable and therefore ALOT of the sounds just plain don't play :S

I'm sorry to you guys for presenting a handicapped version, but I'm at a loss as to how to keep performance smooth while keeping the audio quality and channels up...

So, without further adieu here is the pnd and here is the source!

I'm fully willing to help anybody who wants to try and fix it up and I may get around to it eventually, but RACE! and some of my own original projects are taking priority atm... might be awhile before I look at it ;)

Hi
in audio.c i found this :
Code:
void InitAudio()
{
    Mix_OpenAudio(11025, AUDIO_S16, 1, 64);
    Mix_VolumeMusic(112);
    Mix_AllocateChannels(8);
}
could you try to use Mix_OpenAudio(22050, AUDIO_S16, 1, 256); ?
or have tried it and don't work ?

I'm not a real coder....plus don't have a Pandora (for now ....i hope soon ) , but i made some ports over GP2X console and the best parameters are this on using audio.
Maybe is SDL for Pandora that have some problems (or don't use properly the audio ).

Don't know for sure , hope it helps

I can't wait to try the game on my Pandora.

I dropped it down to those values to get it to stop stuttering and bringing up buffer underruns in ALSA's pcm.c (fairly sure that's what it was spitting at me ;) )

The reason the other sounds are getting lost are due to the Channels being set to 8 as far as I can tell, but I wanted stability and playability over perfect sound for the moment...

Ahh, I was actually wrestling with the crosscompiler to get this game going and learn a bit of the process to port games, use SDL apps and the like since this game is fairly simple, specially since I've only done console apps, nothing with interactivity.
Too bad these days I have exams and can't barely focus on getting the thing to work. Oh well, at least I can check what did you do, and use it as examples for learning.

As for the sound issues, keep in mind the next hotfix will have a bunch of ALSA fixes specially for the people with constant crackling, but probably usable for the rest of the people.

^ Ahh, didn't hear about that, but would be nice if it was that simple ;)

...and Blue Ion, sorry to snag that away from ya, feel free to pester me if you need some help understanding what (small) changes I made ;)

You would understand that at least it is simpler than porting nexuiz, sauerbraten that are massive games using opengl with tons of complexities, and who knows what else
Even cube where you should be able to use the renderer from the pocket pc version is too much for someone that barely has any experience (ie: me).

Still, I'm not trying to undermine your work (if that is the right expression), I just chose this game because is one of the simplest games I can recall.

Thanks for putting the source, I'll spend quite some time studying your changes.

And I agree that it would be nicer if it where easier to port stuff.

Yeah, it can be a bit much when you're trying to figure out some of the small basics sometimes... I've been looking at Lugaru, and if I'm lucky, I'll be able to use gl-wes-v2 to remove some of the work from me, but still gonna take a bit of effort. (On that note, it was funny, in order to get game.cpp to compile I had to remove the -o3 option from the makefile due to it causing some major problems when compiling)

Back