Mega Drive Emulation Would Pal Roms Be Faster?

catmince

Website
Visit site
On a mega drive emulator on any system if you could set the games to run at 50hz instead of 60hz would that make any difference on the system load? i.e would emulators run better. and because of decreaed system load have better sound.

I don't think on this technical point PAL games are faster than NTSC ones. NTSC games have a resolution of 352*240 where PAL games haves 325*288. The higher the resolution, the bigger the cpu calculations. On the other side, I've seen PAL games working better on emulator than teh NTSC version. You'll have to try which one (PAL r NTSC) works better on your favorite GEN emu...

NTSC has less pixels, more framerate.
PAL has more pixels, less framerate.

NTSC is faster, but with more frameskip.
PAL is slower, but with less frameskip.

EDIT:

Generally speaking, that is.

True but 50hz makes some games easier to play 'cause your reaction times don't need to be as fast Road Rash (SMD) comes to mind. ^_^

psyko_chewbacca posted on Dec 6 2004 at 04:13 AM said:
I don't think on this technical point PAL games are faster than NTSC ones. NTSC games have a resolution of 352*240 where PAL games haves 325*288. The higher the resolution, the bigger the cpu calculations. On the other side, I've seen PAL games working better on emulator than teh NTSC version. You'll have to try which one (PAL r NTSC) works better on your favorite GEN emu...

Blah posted on Dec 6 2004 at 04:40 AM said:
NTSC has less pixels, more framerate.
PAL has more pixels, less framerate.

NTSC is faster, but with more frameskip.
PAL is slower, but with less frameskip.

EDIT:

Generally speaking, that is.

SNES/Megadrive games have the same resolution whether PAL or NTSC... the difference that PAL makes to them is that when playing on a TV, there'd be black borders on the top and bottom of the screen.

the PAL games would also run slower so as to fit properly with the tv refresh rate, nothing to do with increased CPU load...

as to the original question, I dunno. probably it would depend on the emulator... try it. if there's any difference, let us know. :)

edit: edited ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
catmince posted on Dec 6 2004 at 07:03 AM said:
When Lik-sang sends my FLU i'll test it ^_^ Also anyone know if the Gamepark authentication system is up yet?

not sure, you could always do it via irc however

Drumaster posted on Dec 6 2004 at 02:36 PM said:
SNES/Megadrive games have the same resolution...
Didn't know that. :lol:
Please check your words before replying. ;)

oops! I got pwned. :blush:

corrected.

Back