GenesisMu not PAL friendly?

d1matman

Still Fresh
Is GenesisMu emulator not fully multi region compatible yet?
I tried Australian Rugby League but when it loaded up the message was displayed something like "Developed for use with PAL and French Secam Mega Drive systems" and couldnt proceed further...... ok so it is a 'Genesis" emu after all but it would be nice to be able to play the 'megadrive' territory games as well....

I also tried Brian Lara Cricket 96 (a typical PAL game) which gives a black screen on boot (which happens for other roms too I know)... but is it possible that some of these games we're having problems with are PAL ?

'genesis emu' as opposed 2 megadrive basically the emu only supports US cartridges atm european 1's should not work so just like 4 a (U) version of your cartridge i believe

Isn't there a utility to convert PAL roms to NTSC? I know there is one for SEGA CD / Mega CD games.

Don't know... thing is, it may be that the CD conversion is to convert the video files on the CD so they run on a non-PAL TV. I think it may be different with roms...

Cheers Axeman, I was hoping you might be able to get the word from the man.

A few games I liked just happened to be some of the PAL 'megadrive only' games.. so thought I'd throw the question out there.

Axeman posted on Sep 8 2003 at 01:24 PM said:
Don't know... thing is, it may be that the CD conversion is to convert the video files on the CD so they run on a non-PAL TV.  I think it may be different with roms...
No, it's not the videos. It really changes the "rom" of the Mega/Sega CD so that it can be played on the player of your region. I have used it myself quite a number of times to play jap or usa imports. If it can be done for CD maybe a ROM tool is also available

More info on this site.

Quote from mentioned site:
SCDConv 2.5
This utility can convert most (not all) sega cd iso images to a different country code. i.e., if you have an US sega cd, but a japanese game, you can run this tool on it to convert the bootcode to US, so it will play on your sega cd without additional carts or modifications.
Usage: in a MS-DOS prompt, type "scdconv isofilename". It will tell you what country code it currently is, and ask you which to change it to. It will also tell you if the chance that it works is bad. After the file was converted, burn it to CD as usual, and hope that it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back