Mednafen/Beetle PSX HW – Alpha test version

There's already a core in RetroArch for PCSX ReARMed, which is far more optimized and far more capable than Mednafen's PSX plugin is at this time, at least for the Pyra. I don't even know if OMAP5 supports OpenGL 3.x anyway, so you might not even be able to make use of Mednafen's PSX plugin's renderer. Either way, you won't be needing Mednafen to play PSX.

It might be nicer on the Pyra, where double resolution might not fill the screen. It might still be easier to go for quad resolution, or whatever's needed than porting this, given it targets OGL not OGL-ES, or perhaps GLshim will do the trick with minimal work.

No, the SGX 544 in the omap 5 does not support OpenGL3.3, it's limited to OpenGL|ES 2 (it can't do OpenGL|ES 3 either, which is pretty much the subset of OpenGL 3.3 that people actually use, OpenGL|ES 2 is more like OpenGL 2.1 w/backwards compatibility removed)

It depends on which parts of OpenGL3.3 is actually uses to see if a port is feasible.

EDIT:
A quick look suggests that it makes heavy use of integer shifting/masking in the shaders, which is not supported on SGX544 as an extension, so will likely require an OpenGL|ES 3 compatible GPU to run.

Last edited:
It won't work on Pyra as is, there's no OpenGL 3.3 support. It would need to be downported to OpenGL ES 2.0 and I have no idea if that's feasible with whatever features they use.

Umm... We already have an highly ARM optimized Playstation Emulator that already does Great on the OpenPandora: http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=package.pcsx_rearmed.notaz It even has an "Double resolution rendering" Feature for 3d stuff. Or am i missing something?

It still has a lot of advantages and potential advantages vs the NEON software renderer, even with double resolution rendering. Like higher resolutions, higher color depth, texture filtering, and if it's anything like other projects have been going hacks for sub-pixel precision and perspective correct rendering.

Nice. I remember Driver in particular being full of polygons that didn't quite meet all of the time. I guess to fix the other issue in that game, looking back at it now, the draw distance would require more specific optimisations.

Back