Media Player

Ian J

Advanced Member
I've been so impressed with the Pandora's audio quality want to start using it as my audio player while commuting.

Which player would people recommend, main things I want is an EQ setting and the ability to use the shoulder buttons for scanning audio and going to the next/previous track.

I've tried

Audacious

DeadBeef

Gnome Player?

GMU

Rockbox - Probably the most un-user friendly GUI I've ever used.

My Favourite is Audacious but it's still not got scanning using the shoulder buttons only via D-Pad.

Is there anything else people would recommend?

My

Last edited by a moderator:
For me Rockbox has always been great, its a little wonky to use because it is supposed to be used as a OS. I used it for a long time on an Ipod Nano 2g.

As an application on the desktop I like to use Deadbeef.

Rockbox just seems so clunky, my 10 year old Archos has a more user friendly GUI.

Is there a guide to the GUI on it? Even things like adding mp3's to the play-list seem like hard work.

I installed Rockbox yesterday and its already my favourite player. The controls took a moment to work out but once I got going, I loved that it scanned my music drive (currently USB but I am planning to see if I can just wifi over a NAS), picked up all my music and the ID3 tags and I was good to go. Pretty much everything I wanted from a music player on my Pandora which I was yet to get from any other music player on there til then!

Once I've amended the EQ settings how do I get back to the main menu?

Neither of those works in the EQ, but they do in other menus.

Audacious :)
His issue is that L-trig and R-trig cannot be mapped as Previous and Next. Well there is a way :

Create these in your audacious appdata :

PND_post_script.sh :

Code:
#!/bin/sh

xmodmap - <<ENDL

keycode  62 = Shift_R NoSymbol Shift_R

keycode 105 = Control_R NoSymbol Control_R

ENDL

PND_pre_script.sh :

Code:
#!/bin/sh

xmodmap - <<ENDL

keycode  62 = XF86AudioPrev NoSymbol XF86AudioPrev

keycode 105 = XF86AudioNext NoSymbol XF86AudioNext

ENDL

But warning, that mean L-trig and R-trig wont work as shift/control while audacious is running, but if you enable the hotkey plugins, it will do what you want.

Thank you for your help with this but it didn't work.

Can you give me more info, I'm a complete linux novice.

I'm probably going to come across as a complete thicky here but I created 2 text files with the names:

PND_post_script.sh

PND_pre_script.sh

Then pasted in the text from each box.

Finally I removed the .txt extension to leave a .sh extension.

Now what am I supposed to do as nothing has changed.

I'm no Linux buff either, but I guess you have to make the scripts executable?

Code:
chmod +x <filename>

Code:
chmod +x <filename>
Good idea but that's not needed in this case. (in most case, these files woud be stored on a vfat FS that doesnt support that anyway ;) )

Did you indeed dropped these 2 files in the audacious appdata directory (/pandora/appdata/audacious) ?

Did you activated the "Global Hotkey" in the General tab from the Extention Modules in the Preferences windows (I hate that "windows" way of doing things) ?

If so what you did looked good, could you give me the pnd_run.sh output (/tmp/pndrun_audacious.out) so I can check what gone wrong ?

Code:
chmod +x <filename>
Good idea but that's not needed in this case. (in most case, these files woud be stored on a vfat FS that doesnt support that anyway ;) )

Did you indeed dropped these 2 files in the audacious appdata directory (/pandora/appdata/audacious) ?

Did you activated the "Global Hotkey" in the General tab from the Extention Modules in the Preferences windows (I hate that "windows" way of doing things) ?

If so what you did looked good, could you give me the pnd_run.sh output (/tmp/pndrun_audacious.out) so I can check what gone wrong ?

Code:
chmod +x <filename>

That worked thank you.

The R + L buttons now jump to previous and next track.

What would I have to put to make them scan the music as the d-pad does (fast fwd/ rewind)

What would I have to put to make them scan the music as the d-pad does (fast fwd/ rewind)
Edit PND_pre_script.sh to :

Code:
#!/bin/sh

xmodmap - <<ENDL

keycode  62 = XF86AudioRewind NoSymbol XF86AudioRewind

keycode 105 = XF86AudioForward NoSymbol XF86AudioForward

ENDL

;)

Edit PND_pre_script.sh to :

Code:
#!/bin/sh

xmodmap - <<ENDL

keycode  62 = XF86AudioRewind NoSymbol XF86AudioRewind

keycode 105 = XF86AudioForward NoSymbol XF86AudioForward

ENDL

;)
Just tried that and it doesn't work.

I'll give it another go when I get home from work.

Hum right, this is not configured in the plugins by default, so you'll need to :

1) select the Global Hotkey Plugin (see previous post ; keep it enabled)

2) drag the window a bit up (use shift + stylus) to unhide the Preferences button

3) click that Preferences button

4) drag that new window a bit up

5) click on "add"

6) select "Rewind 5 second" on the new line on the left

7) click click on the field on the right and press L-trig

8) do the step 5 to 7 to add the foward action using the R-trig

9) click "Ok"

10) restart audacious

11) done...finally

(ho god I hate when you need to use windows)

Hum right, this is not configured in the plugins by default, so you'll need to :

1) select the Global Hotkey Plugin (see previous post ; keep it enabled)

2) drag the window a bit up (use shift + stylus) to unhide the Preferences button

3) click that Preferences button

4) drag that new window a bit up

5) click on "add"

6) select "Rewind 5 second" on the new line on the left

7) click click on the field on the right and press L-trig

8) do the step 5 to 7 to add the foward action using the R-trig

9) click "Ok"

10) restart audacious

11) done...finally

(ho god I hate when you need to use windows)
I Really appreciate your help with this.

I got to #5 but when I press and release the R or L triggers they show in the box (SHIFT / CONTROL) but when I release them the box returns to it's previous setting.

I got to #5 but when I press and release the R or L triggers they show in the box (SHIFT / CONTROL) but when I release them the box returns to it's previous setting.
restart audacious, retry. If still doesnt work, please post /tmp/pndrun_audacious.out

you know....i still have the problem with audacious where i cant pause, than resume a track using it....does anyone else have this problem?

Back