Media Apps Wanted

kaygroth

Still Fresh
Please can we get a good movie viewer, a ver of VLC would rock. I could be wrong but i think VLC is under GPL so the source should be in the wild.

also a jukebox is needed (ie amarok for gp2x)

you know, it`s not that easy... it also has to work. Having the source will not give us vlc or amarok on the gp2x. Amarok will not be possible, ever... too much stuff that would have to be done. It needs to have certain libraries of KDE and also we would have to have an X server running. Too much effort. And then it wouldn`t even be usable. How are you going to type in the media library? Will you really want to change the library every time you change the mp3s on you SD card? There is better and easier to use programs for this case.

VLC has all the codecs it needs included. I don`t think it will be so easy to strip the codecs that won`t work. Also comiling it for arm might be difficult. Aside from all that it is a horribly huge binary.

xnopasaranx posted on Sep 25 2006 at 06:13 PM said:
you know, it`s not that easy... it also has to work. Having the source will not give us vlc or amarok on the gp2x. Amarok will not be possible, ever... too much stuff that would have to be done. It needs to have certain libraries of KDE and also we would have to have an X server running. Too much effort. And then it wouldn`t even be usable. How are you going to type in the media library? Will you really want to change the library every time you change the mp3s on you SD card? There is better and easier to use programs for this case.

VLC has all the codecs it needs included. I don`t think it will be so easy to strip the codecs that won`t work. Also comiling it for arm might be difficult. Aside from all that it is a horribly huge binary.

ok so not amarok, it was only an example anyway, nearly every phone these days has a jukebox app so making one for the gp2x is'nt that unrealistic. why should i need to type btw? never have to on my phone. with regards to the 'change the library bit' why not? i mean 2gb of mp3's does me for a while, a week at least before i go changing things.

again ok if VLC is too hard then fine. again it was just kinda an example of having a player that will play everything (3gp would be nice) and not lock up randomly (did anybody find out why some gp2x's do this?)
also with the video player have a few screen options ie stretch screen, would be cool, the PSP has them so why cant we :).

as you have prob guessed im not programmer, so if i dont get dependices and junk right dont be suprised :D

Last edited by a moderator:
There was some work going on with the released source of Mplayer... I don't know any more than that...

But I certainly agree the GP2X needs a decent media player that at least adds the OGM extension, so you can play those files without having to rename them ;)

Additionally I wouldn't mind a player that can play MP4s both audio and video... I know I can't code it though, heh.

ertainly room for improvement, I agree.

Problem is, that the gp2x is no psp ;-) certain codecs are just too complicated and demanding to be used on the gp2x. We do not have an FPU for example. That makes some codecs close to impossible to work.

I think a good mp3 player should be doable, aslong as you don`t demand any database functionality. But a decent playlist feature should be possible. Also a few more music formats should be supported.

Nothing I have mentioned is impossible. It's actually more probably to happen on GP2X than on PSP.
The GP2X decode XVID and DIVX video via hardware. XVID and DIVX are MPEG4 video implementations.

There was a build of Mplayer with AAC audio, so we are almost there really. It's "only" a case of handling the container formats and recognising the extra extensions.

PokeParadox posted on Sep 25 2006 at 10:31 PM said:
There was a build of Mplayer with AAC audio at so we are almost there really. It's "only" a case of handling the container formats and recognising the extra extensions.

And not having the player freeze up whenever you play something longer than 5 minutes unreencoded. Agh. >_<

still there are some formats that will not be possible like wmv and such. I think there has been a few threads about this in which was stated which formats will eventually be doable and which not. Also, isn`t it true, that the hardware decoder is only accessible for us to do simple tasks and hacking? As far as I know, the problem is, that we don`t have any referances to lookup and get the functions out of it we would need to do hardware decoding, or am I talking out of my ass?

Just to throw this out there, the latest stable point version of Xbox Media Center has just been released (2.0). It is fully open source, so perhaps some code could be borrowed from there?

Obviously a straight port wouldn't work because the Xbox is quite a bit more powerful than a GP2x, was written for an x86 machine, and XBMC has some high end visualizers and media support, so some of that will have to be scrapped. But things like the music, pictures, some video, etc should be able to provide some code that could be reused for a GP2x media center.

devestation posted on Sep 30 2006 at 12:19 PM said:
Just to throw this out there, the latest stable point version of Xbox Media Center has just been released (2.0). It is fully open source, so perhaps some code could be borrowed from there?

Obviously a straight port wouldn't work because the Xbox is quite a bit more powerful than a GP2x, was written for an x86 machine, and XBMC has some high end visualizers and media support, so some of that will have to be scrapped. But things like the music, pictures, some video, etc should be able to provide some code that could be reused for a GP2x media center.

*DEV MIND* HAY, WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT ALREADY?!

OH WAIT, I CAN'T DO ANYTHING LIKE THIS WITH THE GP2X BECAUSE I'D HAVE TO PROGRAM EVERYTHING FROM SCRATCH TO WRITE A CODEC FOR THE GP2X MPLAYER BECAUSE NO OPEN SOURCE PROGRAM WILL WORK, AND I NEED SPECIFIC FUNCTIONS WHICH MAGICEYES WILL NEVER GIVE OUT.

IF IT WAS AS EASY AS THIS I WOULD HAVE JUST DONE IT ALREADY AND EVERYONE WOULDN'T BE ASKING FOR THIS! IT'S BEEN OUT FOR ALMOST A YEAR NOW, AND EVEN WITH ALL THESE OPEN SOURCE PROGRAMS NOTHING HAS COME OUT! I FUCKING WONDER WHY....

Shikaku posted on Sep 30 2006 at 02:34 PM said:

OH WAIT, I CAN'T DO ANYTHING LIKE THIS WITH THE GP2X BECAUSE I'D HAVE TO PROGRAM EVERYTHING FROM SCRATCH TO WRITE A CODEC FOR THE GP2X MPLAYER BECAUSE NO OPEN SOURCE PROGRAM WILL WORK, AND I NEED SPECIFIC FUNCTIONS WHICH MAGICEYES WILL NEVER GIVE OUT.

IF IT WAS AS EASY AS THIS I WOULD HAVE JUST DONE IT ALREADY AND EVERYONE WOULDN'T BE ASKING FOR THIS! IT'S BEEN OUT FOR ALMOST A YEAR NOW, AND EVEN WITH ALL THESE OPEN SOURCE PROGRAMS NOTHING HAS COME OUT! I FUCKING WONDER WHY....

Wow man, breathe! Like I said, "Just to throw this out there." I never said why hasn't it been done, I know there are undocumented aspects of the hardware that a certain someone has yet to reveal. That is why I didn't say "why hasn't it been done yet?"

Just letting people know that finally there is a new XBMC point release (just came out last night), and that maybe in the future, we can use some code from it.

A certain "someone" will not reveal these aspects, though. It`s not in the power of gamepark to do so. The company that owns the rights to the magiceyes board won`t ever(!) release the details about the video decoding functionalities. Also, don`t you even be surprised if you get an answer like the one Shikaku made. It`s just been asked over and over and the same answers have been given: It`s just not an easy thing to do. Coding a mediaplayer for the gp2x gets difficult if you need to implement codecs.

Shikaku posted on Sep 30 2006 at 02:34 PM said:

Very mature...

Back