Max In Ghostpix

M

Marc_RC

The famous GP32 game returns, and now in a GP2x version too! This is the final version, a lot of things changed since the GBAX2005 beta version:

* New save system: you can save up to 4 different games. You can even save in mid-game!
* New game rules: now if you reveal a correct block, you can't erase it.
* New story: cutscenes have been renewed too.
* New menus: they are more intuitive now.
* New polished graphics!
* And a lot of new features!

You can download GP32, GP2x and PC versions at: http://usuaris.tinet.cat/mark/k4/
Please read the README.TXT file before asking why music doesn't sound in GP2x version ;)

Merry christmas to all!

ghostpix1.png
ghostpix2.png

I haven't tested previous versions, but this one seems very nice! Good logic games and nice graphics, it just lacks a few sounds/music ;) but GP2X definitely needs more games like this!!

Sweet! I've really been looking forward to this one, especially since I just finished playing through every puzzle in Mario's Picross a couple of weeks back :)

--Zero

music or no, this is a hell of a game. i love picross and this is now my my favorite. i didn't own a gp32 and had been waiting patiently for this as i knew it'd be awesome...but it's far exceeded my expectations. extremely polished and professional. just seeing how nice the board select screen is makes me want to beat more boards to fill in the little discs :) thanks so much, mark, i'm loving this...congratulations on a job very well done.

I've played a couple of tutorial levels yesterday. Very nice and attractive puzzler.
Thanks for sharing.

I played this game for hours last night. It's really hard to put down once you start! Just one more puzzle... oh just one more...

Ghostpix is very polished. It's better than most titles that I've spent $$ on for my pda. Thanks a ton for your work and for sharing it!

I got my first medal last night, and started on the 4-part puzzles (damn, this gets pretty tough!). Great game! The only complaint I have is that with the crummy stick on my GP2X (Mk1), if I'm setting a whole line, it happens once in a while that I accidentally hit a diagonal, usually causing me to make a mistake and receive a penalty. I suppose that's my own carelessness though.

--Zero

Really fantastic game - been playing it a lot over the last couple of days, and I'm certain I'll play it a fair bit en route to Edinburgh tomorrow :)

Things I've noticed that would be nice to change if you get round to doing a bugfix release:
1) Sometimes when I press B to show up a block as being false, the game thinks I pressed A (or behaves as though it did, in any event). This has resulted in at least two instances of my having only about 3 minutes to do a whole puzzle almost, despite not actually guessing anything!

2) A "suspend" mode would be useful - i.e. the state of your current puzzle is saved, and the game quits. If you stop being able to play (e.g. get where you're going, suspect batteries will die) it's very frustrating to have to do a lot of puzzle again - this would sort that and not introduce any unfairness.

3) Similar to above, a save backup system (i.e. it keeps two files, and overwrites them one at a time) just in case of GP2x crashes would be really reassuring, although given the time it takes to write, perhaps unneccessary.

4) Any chance you could make it so pressing A on a block that's already marked with an X would not try and reveal regardless? Again, careless use of a dodgy joystick has reduced my time considerably more than once!

Thanks again - the game's really really slick as it is; the suggestions are just as I say, bugfixes/convenience updates. Max is very polished indeed :).

do you mean you want a different save mode other than the one that's already in there? because it sounds like exactly what you want in terms of saves is already there (pause with start, hit save). sorry if you meant something different.

so far i haven't been able to crack the 2nd (group of 4) puzzles in chapter 2.
how far are people getting?

do you mean you want a different save mode other than the one that's already in there? because it sounds like exactly what you want in terms of saves is already there (pause with start, hit save). sorry if you meant something different.

so far i haven't been able to crack the 2nd (group of 4) puzzles in chapter 2.
how far are people getting?

I'm getting stuck when you have to solve more than 1 puzzle at a time :ph34r:
It's so easy to loose, and having to restart from the whole beginning started to get on my nerves :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Puzzle #6 in Chapter Five is the same as Puzzle #9 in Chapter Two.

Right now, I'm two puzzles away from completing Chapter Five. I have yet to actually fail a puzzle. Strangely enough, I actually end up with faster times now that it doesn't tell me when I make mistakes, since I find them myself in less time than it would penalize me for in the earlier levels :)

--Zero

when does it stop penalizing you?

i agree about the four-puzzles being damn hard. but i've yet to use the hint option, or look up strategies online for how to play. i came up with some obvious ones, like if a number is 8 or over then you automatically know some of the middle blocks are filled. and sometimes you can sacrifice some time for a couple mistakes to figure out the sides, since once you know the sides it's cake...

Starting with Chapter Five (and, I assume, every chapter thereafter), the game stops telling you when you make mistakes. This means you have to get the picture figured out completely on your own. If you mark a square, and it's wrong, it'll just stay marked. You'll eventually finish the screen and the game won't continue, so you have to figure out for yourself what you did wrong.

--Zero

Theorically, these are harder rules.
I'll change the picture that is repeated, expect a new version soon!

Tobriand, I think you are using the old beta version! Because...
2) The save in mid-game is the most important feature on the final version!
4) The final version doesn't allow you to push marked blocks.

Back