Maths Library (Any good ones?)

Discussion in 'NEON / DSP' started by Rockthesmurf, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Rockthesmurf

Rockthesmurf Advanced Member

Does anyone have any experience with a maths library that supports vectors, matrices and quaternions and has pretty decent optimizations for NEON and SSE? I typically roll me own as required, but I currently feel like I'd like an off the shelf solution which is fast, reliable and free. Eigen is often the most mentioned one, and the software license these days is a bit nicer, I am a little put off by the size of it (although not enough not to give it a try), I understand it supports NEON/SSE, although just how optimized it is, it isn't clear to me.

I'm doing some experiments with CPU skinning at the moment, so have a reasonable test case for an improved library!

Anyone got any first hand knowledge/experience?

Tags:
  2. _wb_

_wb_ Microbe Staff Member

Maybe there is something you can use in the dependencies of Sage. I remember compiling lots of math libraries for Sage.

3. ptitSeb

ptitSeb Serial Porter

I took a look at Eigen, but the NEON optim are close to 0, at least on vertex / matrix math use for GL. I havn't looked at the quaternion part of it.

You can look at GLM also. I don't think NEON helps much too, but it's an interesting approach (but C++ only), and I found it easier to use then Eigen.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2013
  4. smcc

smcc Still Fresh

I've used WildMagic for this kind of thing on desktop.

It builds as several different libraries so you can pick what you want and it's released under the boost licence.

See http://www.geometrictools.com/Downloads/Downloads.html

Not sure about how optimised it is but you can always benchmark it against your other options.

5. notaz

notaz Certified Guru

6. Pickle

Pickle Mega GP Mania

7. fantomid

fantomid Very Active Member