Math Homework Yay

daclassicgamingmaster

It Is Your Birthday.
Website
krispf3.blogspot.com
So as usual we've gotten some random project with equations that are more difficult than normal. Balls to this, the semester is almost over and this teacher is being an ass. She didn't even bother to explain much of anything, considering all her students ran to the math tutor place to get all the answers easily :rolleyes:

Anyway I have no idea what I'm doing. I suck at math and science. I'm a History/English man ;). Any help/answers are much appreicated :)

1. A large holiday complex contains 100 units. If the rent is $300 per week, all units will be rented. However for each additional $20 in rent, 5 additional units will become vacant.

- Find an equation that relates rent, C, (cost of renting a unit for a week) and the demand, D, (number of units rented).

- Find the equation relating total weekly rental income, R, with weekly rental rates.

- At what weekly rent per unit is the total weekly rent maximized? (you will have to choose your method of solving this mathematically).

- What is the total maximum weekly rental income?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. The following function models test scores as a function of hours studied:

f(x)= -2x^2+20x+45

A- define f(x) and x.

b- find the vertex form of this equation.

c- sketch this equation as accurately as possible.

d- how many hours should you study to maximize your test score?

e- what is your test score if you study the amount of hours found in part D?

Again, any help is appreciated :unsure:

a. f(x) would be the test score? and x would be hours studied?

b. (5,95) I think...

c. can't help you there

d. 5 hours

e. 95

I could be wrong but whatevs

daclassicgamingmaster said:
Well the answers sound logical. I'll look them over in the morning, thanks demon :)
welcome, I don't want to do number 1, too much work for vacation (such an american statement)

Last edited by a moderator:
have a look in the back of the book.. When we did maths, all the answers were on the back pages but you have to show your working how you got their.

daclassicgamingmaster said:
No you tards! Way to assume. These are on paper and made up/taken from other materials. Not in the book :rolleyes:
Why are you asking "tards" to do your homework?

They'll only get it wrong :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The first question should be intuitive, just do what seems right. Here's to get you started: R=(300+x*20)*(100-x*5) - x is the number of times the rent goes up by $20, and R is the $$$ earned from rent weekly.

The second question is a textbook example kind of thing, I'm sure you'll find something similar in your book and notes. (not to mention DemonStar55's post :lol: )

Btw, I thought you were in business, why maths and science?

a) It's a simple y=a*x+b equation. The only unknown variables are a and b. x is rent cost. y is demand. So you need in fact two pairs of (x,y) to solve this:
CODE

100 = a*300 + b
95 = a*320 + b

B ) you already have a solution. That got me at first, long time no maths...sadly... What is important for you is to remember that this function is square function (y = a*x^2 + b*x + c ).

c ) you have two possibilities:

c.1) calculate the derivative of function from point B ) and find a point where y=0. This is the point where rent is maximal (in fact it's the point where parabola has it's peak).

c.2) find solutions of the function from point B ) (points where y=0). Let's call them x1 and x2 and let x1 < x2. If x1 = x2 then you already have the solution. Next we'll use one of the square function characteristics: symmetry. To find the x coordinate of the top-point we need to calculate the distance between x1 and x2, then we need to divide it by 2 (square function is symmetrical, remember?) and add the result to x1 (if the x1 is lower than x2). After that you'll have x coordinate of the point we're looking for, in fact, that's the maximized weekly rent.

d) It's the question for the y coordinate of the point from point c ).

2) you should know how to solve it now. I'll only try to help you at point c ). What you need for this one is: http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grafika:Krzywiki.jpg
Try to calculate couple of points and connect them using that tool. :)

Thanks for the help, I'm gonna try to do this crap in like 5 minutes so I can enjoy the rest of my weekend :lol:

@alex: required to transfer to a business school <_<
@sam: shut up
@parky: good point :p

Back