Mapping L shoulder button to Alt?

Esn

(:";
Website
esn.newgrounds.com
Hi there, I am wondering if it's possible to map the left shoulder button to Start/Alt instead of Shift. The reason is to easily be able to do right-clicks with the stylus, for which it's currently required to hold "Start/Alt" while touching the screen, but that button is in the middle of the Pandora and uncomfortable to reach. Using "L", or any other button on the left side of the handheld, would be so much better.

If I need to use Shift, there's already one on the left side that I can reach with my thumb, so it seems not a huge issue.

Is this possible, and would it break a lot of stuff if it was done?

I mean, ideally I would just make the right-click-enabler-for-stylus to be some other button besides Start/Alt that's easier to reach (like the period), but I don't see an option for that in the settings.

Yes, surely it is possible, although I don't have a working unit currently to test out ideas. My first try would be doing something with xmodmap I expect.

That said, it would break any games that expect the keycode for LShift when the left trigger is pressed, simularly as not disabling ABmouse before running a game loses access to the A and B game controls. Losing a shoulder button would probably break many fewer games than losing a fire button would though. Personally my nubs were not so broken that I could use them quite comfortably for moving the mouse; it was only when it came to twin stick shooters mainly that it was beyond them, and I learned quite easily to use them over jabbing at the screen all the time.

Yes, surely it is possible, although I don't have a working unit currently to test out ideas. My first try would be doing something with xmodmap I expect.
Thanks. What about my idea for the right-click-enabler-for-stylus to be some other button besides Start/Alt? Could that be done? Some software uses right-mouse clicks almost as often as left, for example mtpaint.

I mean, the whole point of Shift and Ctrl being L and R originally was to make typing capital letters easy, as well as "Ctrl-Z", "Ctrl-C", etc. commands. I don't really want to change L to Alt if there's a better option.

Actually, that's a good point. I've found this which might be helpful:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xfce#Mouse_button_modifier

Then you wouldn't need to modify the keyboard mapping at all, which has its advantages. I'm not sure if you can use general keyboard keys like '.' (full stop) though or only modifier keys. The setting command doesn't seem to do any validation of the value you set it to, so you'll just have to try and see I guess.

Back