Man, I Missed Out On The Sega Nomad - Or Did I?

I owned a Nomad too. The GP2X running DrMD is far superior..no question. The Nomad screen could not compete with the GP2X screen at all. I would say the best handheld Genesis gameplay to date is most definitely on the GP2X.

Yeah the nomad is the most compatible but carrying around a bag of carts is not too practical. The screen on the nomad is quite poor, it is kind of small, blurry and washed out. Screens have come a long way since then. I will live with a less than 60 FPS framerate for everything else gained on the Gp2X.

I believe so, yes. I think it even had a way to plug in at least a second controller, so it could be used as a full console.
Yup, it has a normal Genesis/Mega Drive controller port on it.

As for TV, only know that you could use a TV extension cartridge with the Game Gear, but there probably was one for the Nomad too...

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh, ther was a SMS-to-MD converter, I wonder if one could play Master System games with Nomad with that...

Actually, there was a noname Japanese model that DID work on the Nomad. I had this and used to play "The Ninja" and "Alex Kidd in Miracle World" on the Nomad all the time!

My apologies to not replying to a thread I started. I seem to be suffering from "To many notices" being sent to my Gmail, as two forum groups e-mail me anytime any new post is added, which makes it next to impossible to notice when threads I've posted to - or made - have been updated.

6 batteries + carrying around a bag of cartridges - which, yes, have ROMs on them (I've been emulating since the early 90's and that's just the word that comes to mind these days) ;) - plus another 6 batteries to replace the first set, sounds like a lot to carry.

There's a lot that goes into a handheld that works, and two of those aspects are portability and battery life. The GP2X falls down because it doesn't have an internal rechargable. I'm sorry, but a GBA SP is far superior in this regard; however, the GBA had the same problem and didn't die horribly.

The GP2X, as pointed out here, is quite portable thanks to its SD memory (throws another poorly worded phrase out there) and, with good AA's, gets decent battery life considering what the handheld can do.

Edit: Oh yes, and tack-on that my daughters' (apostrophe is in the right place) GBA's have 3 games between them, and we have another dark and unspoken benefit of the GP2X. The benefit of "amount of games" versus "cost."

That'd pretty much seal a Nomad's fate, other than when using certain carts (ha ha I recalled that word).

;)

I wouldnt want an internal rechargeable for the gp2x ;)

What happens when it dies and you dont have access to an outlet and/or the charger??? Sorry, but you cant have your cake and eat it too, as the saying goes. I think that no matter what type of battery was chosen, people would be complaining somehow. At least you can carry 3-4 sets with you and on a plane ride you can get 20-25 hours out of the 2x....

Hehe I have a Nomad that gained a fair bit of use during a more manic gaming phase. A nice piece of kit all in. I havent got my gp2x up and running for genesis yet so cant compare but the nomad was huge, ate batteries in the packs by the packs, but was never the less and excellent piece of kit. Nice to play thunderforce 4 or sf2 turbo on from time to time. The tv out was good and the option to add controllers, making it a full console bar the inability to run sms games on it were all plus points and yes the controls rocked. I still think the 6 button pads on the MD beat most controllers hands down to this day, it just felt dead right.

Nice to see people still have them and are seeking them. I have a pristine one with a shoulder case and loads of extras, relegated to the attic for now. Nice system though.

What happens when it dies and you dont have access to an outlet and/or the charger??? Sorry, but you cant have your cake and eat it too, as the saying goes. I think that no matter what type of battery was chosen, people would be complaining somehow. At least you can carry 3-4 sets with you and on a plane ride you can get 20-25 hours out of the 2x....
Pardon the case, but GOOD POINT. I hadn't thought of that.

5 years from now, it won't be as easy to pick up a working GP2X as a GBA SP (well, 5 years from its release date for the GBA SP).

I fixed my notification problem. Bless Gmail.

Edit: Chaser - I have read that those are worth lots on Ebay.

Yeah I had one and I still use it. I have it actually hooked up to the tv. I have a 2nd controller plugged into it and my wife and I rock out some Streets of Rage 1&2 all the time, and Gunstar Heroes. I think the tv out is a bit better than the gp2x, and as others have said the controller is hands down the best next to the saturn for playability and comfort. Yeah it's big, eats batteries (reason I used a huge rechargable battery pack), and the screen isn't as good. However, if I want a perfect Genesis/MD experience I will play my Nomad. I love DrMD and play it more than any other emu on my gp2x, but sometimes I need that perfect experience and the only way for me to do that is with the Nomad. There's nothing like a perfect game of M.U.S.H.A, Elemantal Master, or Gunstar Heroes on the go.

the nomad was also only a US release wasnt it? (and i guess japan?) my nomad couldn't play any pal games anyway

i still desperatly want a nomad to add to my collection but im far too poor and cheap to buy one lol, what (and im not too supprised by this) noone mentioned is the homemade portable genesis systems that many people have built! benheck forum members (and ben himself) have made portable genesis from the model 2 genesis,genesis 3 and the radica tv games genesis (actually a genesis-on-a-chip, hard to add a cartslot too tho) with modern lcds and the same size or smaller than the nomad with better battery life, pretty sweet stuff!

i still desperatly want a nomad to add to my collection but im far too poor and cheap to buy one lol, what (and im not too supprised by this) noone mentioned is the homemade portable genesis systems that many people have built! benheck forum members (and ben himself) have made portable genesis from the model 2 genesis,genesis 3 and the radica tv games genesis (actually a genesis-on-a-chip, hard to add a cartslot too tho) with modern lcds and the same size or smaller than the nomad with better battery life, pretty sweet stuff!

Check eBay for a Nomad. I got a GREAT deal on my Nomad last year from a good seller on eBay. It came with the Nomad, the power supply, a case that seemed to fit it perfectly (but truly had nothing to do with Gaming) the battery pack with 6 energizers already in it, a 6-button arcade pad, the instruction manual, the tv out cable, (new-console style, no connecting to the cable plug ;P) and 5 games (Sonic 3, NHL 96, NBA JAM, Mortal Kombat 3, and RISK) all for just $50.

It was in great condition when I got it, too!

As for Benheck's, yea, those are awesome things. My friend and I are working on making Handheld N64's using that site and his book as reference. Since no one here who has the skills wants to take a stab at an N64 emulator and Nintendo hasn't "announced" OoT DS yet, I need to get my Handheld OoT fix somehow! ;)

As for Benheck's, yea, those are awesome things. My friend and I are working on making Handheld N64's using that site and his book as reference. Since no one here who has the skills wants to take a stab at an N64 emulator and Nintendo hasn't "announced" OoT DS yet, I need to get my Handheld OoT fix somehow! ;)

The size of the portable Nintendo 64 would be about the size of about a folded laptop, and unless you use uber mAh D batteries to power this thing, it won't have that good of a battery life either...

But go for it, I would do if I had the ability and time...

The size of the portable Nintendo 64 would be about the size of about a folded laptop, and unless you use uber mAh D batteries to power this thing, it won't have that good of a battery life either...

But go for it, I would do if I had the ability and time...

Actually, the size of the N64 portable can get quite small, possibly even smaller than the Sega Nomad is. But I plan for mine to be slightly bigger than the Nomad, but be easy to grip because of that. With dual Z-triggers. ^_^

Also, I already understand about battery life. The best I can get would probably be about the Nomad's battery life. I'm still deciding on battery issues, but that won't bother me that much. ;P

Also, since we're making more than one, we're going to try to add multiplayer support between the two systems, which if we wire it right, we might be able to make it so that the connected systems use BOTH sets of batterys to power each other, so that it doesn't burn out the host systems battery life in a flash.

Pardon the case, but GOOD POINT. I hadn't thought of that.

5 years from now, it won't be as easy to pick up a working GP2X as a GBA SP (well, 5 years from its release date for the GBA SP).

I fixed my notification problem. Bless Gmail.

Edit: Chaser - I have read that those are worth lots on Ebay.

And those Energizer lithium batteries last a long time in the 2X. From now on, when I go on a trip, I'll always have 1 pair of rechargeables and 2 pairs of Energizer disposible lithiums, they'll last me long enough.

Back