Mame4All V1.2 Released

Kalisiin said:
PolloLoco said:
Remember, when you upgrade to 1.2 - delete the files in the "frontend" directory and "cfg" directories. Honestly, I've only seen 3 games fail to play after doing that. Most others play much faster. Also - if you get an error due to lack of memory, try to exit out of MAME and try again.

I'm pretty sure I did that.
What would happen if I did it again, now...would I screw up MAME?

I'm pretty sure that what I did was copy the new folders directly over the old. which ought to have the same effect.

No it does not have the same effect. After you copy the new folders over the old - you have to delete the files in the two folders I mentioned. Or else you'll get other games to fail.

Last edited by a moderator:
PolloLoco said:
Kalisiin said:
PolloLoco said:
Remember, when you upgrade to 1.2 - delete the files in the "frontend" directory and "cfg" directories. Honestly, I've only seen 3 games fail to play after doing that. Most others play much faster. Also - if you get an error due to lack of memory, try to exit out of MAME and try again.

I'm pretty sure I did that.
What would happen if I did it again, now...would I screw up MAME?

I'm pretty sure that what I did was copy the new folders directly over the old. which ought to have the same effect.

No it does not have the same effect. After you copy the new folders over the old - you have to delete the files in the two folders I mentioned. Or else you'll get other games to fail.

So, really, then, what I should do is just totally delete those folders. and then replace them with the folders that came with MAME 1.2?
I thought over-writing the folders would do the same thing.

That, or, very specifically, which files should I delete, versus which files should I keep?

I don't want to screw MAME up, I'd be very highly upset if I did.

It doesn't take a freaking rocket scientist! Just delete EVERYTHING in the folders - read this thread to confirm. If you screw up (and it would take a special person) you can just delete the whole mame install and copy the whole 1.2 install over.

I just wanted to add a quick update to say that I found a version of Total Carnage that works. So the only two games now broken - that worked with 1.0 are "Altered Beast" and "Alien Storm". They're both Sega titles, so I assume the problem must be related.

MAME is just too sweet. I've been further amazed by the speed increases in a lot of games - and I've been tweaking settings to get them to play better. One funny thing - is that I used to have a setting for frameskip in 1.2 - and it was defaulted to 70? I changed it to auto, and then set it to 0, and now I can no longer see that setting at all for any game. Very weird.

I removed that setting though I think it will return for v1.3.

Also brightness is broken, it doesn't actually change the brightness value.

The Sega games will be fixed for the next version :)

slaanesh said:
I removed that setting though I think it will return for v1.3.

Also brightness is broken, it doesn't actually change the brightness value.

The Sega games will be fixed for the next version :)
Just in case you were interested in looking at it, all the cinematronic games (Armor Attack etc) are broken (at least on Wiz) they have been for awhile. You get sound but no image. I told Franxis about it a long time ago but those were never fixed. Maybe if you wanted those could be looked at and given to Franxis too.

It's really a good news that Hook may run in the next release.

But still I have a question regarding this game in Mame4All. Hook runs on Mame4All Wiz version, but without sound. Would it be possible to get the game run with sound in the Dingux version?

Besides, what about Street fighter 1? I noticed that this game won't run in both releases, what makes the problem? Is it possbile to get this game run?

Thanks a lot!!!

I am curious about something...is it at all possible to have BOTH version 1.1 and 1.2 of MAME running on the same Dingoo, at the same time?
Just by naming the folders say, Version 1 and Version 2, and then calling for them that way in the .cfg file?

That way, I could still play Altered Beast...and I could also use that as a way to shrink down the lists of ROMS, and have 2 shorter lists instead of one huge list?

Maybe put almost all the REAL good ones in one list, and the less good ones in the other?

I just thought of this idea.

Then again, what about 2 different installations of the same version of MAME, for when the Altered Beast problem gets fixed? Or even 3 or 4?

Could it be done?

Just out of interest how does Mame4All on the Dingoo compare to the GP2X version? The Dingoo is more powerful but the GP2X version is very optimised and has been in development for a long time.

MAME4ALL for the Dingoo A320 uses the same code base as MAME4ALL for the GP2X. It has all the same optimizations.
Except for the Cyclone and DrZ80 core which it can't use.

So! For games using the M68000 and DrZ80 games, the GP2X version is faster.
For games using all other CPUs the A320 is faster.

I've made some updates to the M68000 core - trying to fix Altered Beast. No luck yet, but Road Blasters is now working (one M68000 game that I knew that wasn't working).
Actually so is Indiana Jones. Hmmm, was that working previously? Can someone check. I haven't got my old v1.2 build handy.

Were there any other M68000 games not working?

Hey, slaanesh...or if anyone else knows...

Can one actually make more than one installation of MAME...for example, MAME ver 1 and MAME Ver 2 on the same machine?

Perhaps by naming the folders different, and calling for them as such in the .cfg file?

I'm curious, becuase, if so...could put Ver. 1 back on my machine, and thus have Altered Beast working...and put some others that were good enough on Ver. 1 over there...others on Ver. 2 and thus have 2 smaller ROM lists instead of one huge list.

EDIT:
Never mind, I tried it myself and no go. You could install two different versions of MAME....but they would then both pull from the same ROMlist...which defeated my purpose.

I really wish there were a way to break down that huge MAME list, but no go.

What I did NOT try was to then have Altered Beast in the Ver 2 romfile...which is where it wanted to pull the available list from....but run it from Ver 1.

Because it WOULD bring up the different start screens for Ver 1 and Ver 2....but no matter what, it always brought up only the Ver 2 ROMlist.

Would be interesting to see if one could've played Altered Beast that way.

Slaanesh, can I make a request for a future release of Mame4all or Finalburn? If possible, can you make "NARC" compatible? Its an 80's side scrolling shooter that I enjoyed as a kid. I'm not sure if it works on the Wiz, but I got the ROM from a Wiz torrent for MAME. I've been unable to get it to work for either of my portables, PSP or Dingoo.

I know what you mean, the full supported set is too big.
I have thought about this before and the simplest thing to add would be a "favorites" flag.
Left shoulder button to toggle between full list/favorites list and right shoulder button to tag/untag a game as a favorite.
I'll add this in for the next release.

NARC is one of those games that's just too heavy to emulate on GP2X/Dingoo and Wiz. It probably would start but it wouldn't be very much fun.
I think this will be a Pandora only game.

slaanesh said:
I have thought about this before and the simplest thing to add would be a "favorites" flag.
Left shoulder button to toggle between full list/favorites list and right shoulder button to tag/untag a game as a favorite.

NARC is one of those games that's just too heavy to emulate on GP2X/Dingoo and Wiz. It probably would start but it wouldn't be very much fun.

That's disappointing. But thanks for the quick reply!

slaanesh said:

That...would be absolutely a fabulous feature to have, slaanesh!!

Well.Because of swap,dingoo can play more games now.
Can more drivers be added in Mame4all?
I think there must be more games playable.

Back