Mame4all 2.2 Released

I posted this in the GP2X forum but it's very quiet there and no one responded so I'll post it here:

How does the original version of Bubble bobble play in the latest Mame4all? I know the bootleg version ran fine in the older Gp2xmame but the original version had problems. One other game which was slow was Empire City 1931, Is it full speed in Mame4all?
I still use 2.1 on my F-200. Bubble Bobble runs full speed when high overclocked (i think @260MHz). I think with all the improvements of version 2.2 it will run even better. If you want me to test it with 2.2 just drop me a line. I don't know exactly what's with Empire City. But I think I can test this, too.

Regards,
Stephan

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted this in the GP2X forum but it's very quiet there and no one responded so I'll post it here:
How does the original version of Bubble bobble play in the latest Mame4all? I know the bootleg version ran fine in the older Gp2xmame but the original version had problems. One other game which was slow was Empire City 1931, Is it full speed in Mame4all?

I know that Empire City has a bug which wasn't fixed until a later version of the driver. This is why it plays slow. It's possibly something that could be fixed. I'll have a look.
Bubble Bobble (the genuine version) plays okay with a bit of overclocking. At the 200Mhz it struggles a bit.

Added sound to xmen. This is also used for other games like GI-Joe.

I've also had a detailed looked at the crash in blockout.
This turned out to be quite involved.

I recompiled MAME with debugging information and used gdb on the resulting core file.
Unfortunately, with debugging symbols the MAME executable is 20MB in size and the core 10MB. Too much for the GP2X to handle! gdb was running out of malloc().

I recreated a special version of MAME which only had what was required to run blockout, the resulting executable was only 4MB.

I then ran the game to the point where it crashed (actually had to do this about 6 times) and finally got a core dump.

Using gdb I quickly found that the problem comes from the following:

02:41:01 /mnt/sd/mame4all#>gdb
GNU gdb 6.4
Copyright 2005 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you are
welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions.
Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB. Type "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "arm-gp2x-linux".
(gdb)
(gdb) file mame
Reading symbols from /mnt/sd/mame4all/mame...done.
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/libthread_db.so.1".
(gdb)
(gdb) core-file core.112
Core was generated by `./mame blckout2 -cyclone -drz80 -clock 250'.
Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation fault.
#0 0x001208a0 in OPM_CALC_CH7 (CH=0x500744) at src/sound/fm.cpp:3204
*CH->connect4 += OP_OUTN(NoiseCnt,eg_out4);

I followed this through and I think the NOISE_TABLE[] is being overflowed.
Basically it would mean that a newer version of the fm.cpp core is required (although a patch may do the trick).
Which isn't really that straightforward as all the FM sound chips rely on fm.cpp.

I think mame37b16 fixes this issue.

The reason why mamegp2x (the previous version based on 0.34) works is that I actually did this update (or something similar) to fix some other problem (which was causing MAME to crash after a few times.

Anyway I am going to leave this for now - I may come back to it later.

Anyway, using this method, I think it would be pretty easy to also find out why some DrZ80 games are also crashing on exit, like many of the Sega System 16 games for example. I'll investigate some of these later.

If you are still taking requests, would you be able to maintain the volume between games? Right now, every time I go to the menu and then choose something new, the volume is cranked back up and louder than I would normally use it. Thanks! :)

Better yet have it save a volume setting per game like it saves clock speed screen orientation etc. You would set a value between 1-100 in the menu screen and it would start at that volume (of course you could chnge in game by using the volume buttons).

Good to see Knuckle Joe back, but unfortunately, it isn't drawn correctly; Set 1 (kncljoe) is working in Normal mode for the Video Aspect (with the top and bottom missing), but when in Rotate mode, the graphics get messed up. Same goes for Set 2 (kncljoea), but the Normal mode is upside-down. :eek:

Also, Q*bert is missing some sound effects.

The new icon size is too small for GMenu2X; the previous one was the correct size.

Thanks for the updates, and keep it up. :)

(BTW, I have a GP2X F-200.)

http://www.talfi.net/gp32_franxis/show_dpc_cfg.zip[/URL]

I would need values reported in both firmwares! The most interesting is the firmware 1.0.0 one.

Thanks in advance ;"] .
This is from firmware 1.0.0 as I have not upgraded at all yet...

DPCHTOTAL=330 DPCHAEND=304 DPCVTOTAL=335 DPCVASTART=7 DPCVAEND=327 DPCCTRL0=37888 DPCCTRL1=8767

Hope it helps...

1.1.0:

DPCHTOTAL=327 DPCHAEND=277 DPCVTOTAL=341 DPCVASTART=17 DPCVAEND=337 DPCCTRL0=37888 DPCCTRL1=8767

1.0.0:

DPCHTOTAL=330 DPCHAEND=304 DPCVTOTAL=335 DPCVASTART=7 DPCVAEND=327 DPCCTRL0=37888 DPCCTRL1=8767

1.0.1:

DPCHTOTAL=327 DPCHAEND=277 DPCVTOTAL=341 DPCVASTART=17 DPCVAEND=337 DPCCTRL0=37888 DPCCTRL1=8767

Hmm, can it be: No change between 1.0.1 and 1.1.0?

Oh my god!

firmware 1.1.0:
DPCHTOTAL=330 DPCHAEND=304 DPCVTOTAL=347 DPCVASTART=19 DPCVAEND=339 DPCCTRL0=37888 DPCCTRL1=8767 (Franxis)
DPCHTOTAL=327 DPCHAEND=277 DPCVTOTAL=341 DPCVASTART=17 DPCVAEND=337 DPCCTRL0=37888 DPCCTRL1=8767 (sbock)

firmware 1.0.0:
DPCHTOTAL=330 DPCHAEND=304 DPCVTOTAL=335 DPCVASTART=7 DPCVAEND=327 DPCCTRL0=37888 DPCCTRL1=8767 (Chum+sbock)

firmware 1.0.1:
DPCHTOTAL=327 DPCHAEND=277 DPCVTOTAL=341 DPCVASTART=17 DPCVAEND=337 DPCCTRL0=37888 DPCCTRL1=8767 (Grus+sbock)

Franxis: As you can imagine, I reflashed my Wiz quite often. I now go to 1.1.0 and check again. In the meantime, perhaps somebody with 1.1.0 can check so we find out, what's the normal value...

I tried again with 1.1.0 and the result is the same. Time to obtain a third opinion...

1.1.0:

Cheers, Madman! So let me guess Franxis: Do you use a prototype Wiz?

[Edit:]
Two other opinions from RMfast and Devaux, german forum. Thanks for this...

Hiya, great emu enjoying it a lot.
One problem though cant get metal slug 2 to work, when loading up the romset it hangs on "LOADING MS2_C3.rom"

Anyone get this to work?

Back